Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ancient wargames
Hey, what are your favorite games, board or computer, about the ancient world? <p></p><i></i>
Cheers,
Jenny
Founder, Roman Army Talk and RomanArmy.com

We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best we can find in our travels is an honest friend.
-- Robert Louis Stevenson
Well, there's this little computer game called Shogun Total War about "ancient" Japan. <p></p><i></i>
"Shogun Total War" Now that's a great game. <p></p><i></i>
That game is awsome (bit unfair sometimes, against the comp, but not to often). That is the first game I've seen where strategy actually makes a difference in a battle (instead of massing units). <p><i><font color="black"><b>Romulus Agustulus, Ceaser of Rome and president of UPURS<br><marquee>All for the Glory of Rome!</marquee></i><br>http://games.acmecity.com/timetraveler/539</p><i></i>
<laughing> Gee, I didn't know you guys liked Shogun so much, funny thing, that's one of my favorites too<br>
<br>
Maybe we should start a Shogun board?<br>
<br>
Not! <p></p><i></i>
Cheers,
Jenny

We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best we can find in our travels is an honest friend.
Serves you right for recruiting too heavily from just one place. You know how loyalty carries over, hence the Romans moved their auxiliary units around... <p></p><i></i>
In the name of heaven Catiline, how long do you propose to exploit our patience..
Well, Shogun aside, which by the way I would submit hardly qualifies as an "ancient" wargame, what other games do you fancy?<br>
<br>
For computer games, I thought the "Great Battles" series was done tolerably well, although a bit on the buggy side and not really snazzy on the aesthetics.<br>
<br>
I rather hope that something akin to Shogun might be done for one of the Roman civil wars, perhaps the Long Year of 69 CE. Multiple Roman factions plus the unpredictable frontiers and usual native unrest.<br>
<br>
Doesn't qualify as a wargame per se, but I very much liked Caesar series, extending to Pharoah. Have just bought Zeus but haven't yet installed.<br>
<br>
For board games, I love Republic of Rome but it's tough to find a group willing to absorb the rulebook. Also the Hannibal and Successors games from Avalon Hill. Great fun. <p></p><i></i>
Cheers,
Jenny

Catline was acually just taking about a computer game called Praetorians which is like Shogun but Roman! Here's a preview of it: www.gamespot.co.uk/pc.gam...eview.html <p></p><i></i>
Zeus is good fun, but it's just that, no history in it at all even when compare to Caesar and Pharaoh. Caesar's the best of them, especially the military bit which has a reasonable difference in the troops so all the types are useful.<br>
<br>
As to Roman civil wars games, I'd love to see an STW type one. Personally I think that the late empire with all the usurpers and Emperors would provide a better game than the Earlier periods, at least in the style the game is now. Year of the Four Emperors would be good though <p>It's not a bug, it's a feature</p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://pub45.ezboard.com/ucatiline.showPublicProfile?language=EN>Catiline</A> at: 1/24/01 12:39:54 pm<br></i>
In the name of heaven Catiline, how long do you propose to exploit our patience..
May be it can set the time for the Roman Civil War. <p></p><i></i>
Ah, Tenchi, but WHICH civil war? <p></p><i></i>
Cheers,
Jenny

I played one called "Siege of Jerusalem" when I was in the navy. I guess it was not only my favorite war game, it was my only wargame. : ) <p>...or not.</p><i></i>
What's wrong with your picture? I liked what you had up before, peeking over your scutum. Cute! <p></p><i></i>
Cheers,
Jenny

The one between Caesar and Pompey. <p></p><i></i>
Thanks! It seems the server where I have the pic stored was down yesterday. I may have to FTP if it persists. <p>...or not.</p><i></i>