Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Romans + Christianity
This seems like the best place for me to start posts on Roman civilian Christianity.

I've somewhat studied early Christianity & collected related images over the past 25 years. I plan to study more during the next few years, to post findings and website links here, and to also discuss these subject matters here with anyone interested.

I plan to also post Roman military Christian content in "Re-Enactment & Reconstruction".

Pax vobiscvm! 'a
AMDG
Wm. / *r
Welcome!
I will certainly appreciate your contributions. Pax et bonum.
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
I'm currently studying the history of roman civilisation in North Africa. And there are many things to say about the beginning of Christianity in this area, where the Latin Church appeared while everywhere else it was taught and practiced in Greek. Even in Roma.

I'm waiting for your lights about this subject! Big Grin
Christian artwork, 3rd century (circa 240 AD), Syria Duro Europas, church baptistry, good shepard Jesus / Yeshua above; Adam & Eve holding fig leaves below (lower left). 'a

(source long lost, will be be added if/when found)
AMDG
Wm. / *r
Christian artwork, Jesus / Yeshua, 4th century (circa 300 AD), Italy, Rome, Catacombs of Domatilla, the Last Supper? (source long lost, will be added if/when found)
AMDG
Wm. / *r
My situations have finally been improving consistently enough, and reached high enough, that I revived plans to post Roman Christian images here. It'll take a little while to figure out where I can store the images for longer periods, so I won't have to delete any in the future.

Some images will be linked to their internet source. Others will be linked to "Photo Bucket" & similar internet hosts. And some others will be linked to my ISP homepage photo albums.

I'll also check RAT threads, in case we can store some images here.

Your advice on image storage would be welcome & appreciated. +r
AMDG
Wm. / *r
Hi William,
You can actually store your pictures here on RAT. Check out this thread for more info.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Hi Jasper! Many thanks. You're a wonderful person. Best regards, +r (Wil)

EDIT: Added another Christian image (Late Roman / Early "Byzantine"), from Italy, Ravenna. (source long lost, will be added if/when found)
AMDG
Wm. / *r
More Christian artwork: Jesus / Yeshua, 5th century, Italy, Rome, Catacombs of Commodilla. (source long lost, will be added if/when found)
AMDG
Wm. / *r
Quote:After reading the new "Termitator Saving Jesus" thread posts, I have decided to leave R.A.T.
I hope you can reconsider this. I think the gospel is a happy message and this means that we can smile, also about the gospel itself. Neither insults nor jokes about religion can shake faith.

In my personal opinion, humble or not, RAT is one of the better hang-outs on the web, and one of the places where a reasonable discussion about Christianity between really interested people ought to be possible. You once wrote:
Quote:This seems like the best place for me to start posts on Roman civilian Christianity [...] I plan to also post Roman military Christian content in "Re-Enactment & Reconstruction".
and as far as I am concerned, I still would like to read more about it and share a nice exchange of opinions.
Jona Lendering
My website
Quote:In my personal opinion, humble or not, RAT is one of the better hang-outs on the web, and one of the places where a reasonable discussion about Christianity between really interested people ought to be possible. You once wrote:
Quote:This seems like the best place for me to start posts on Roman civilian Christianity [...] I plan to also post Roman military Christian content in "Re-Enactment & Reconstruction".
and as far as I am concerned, I still would like to read more about it and share a nice exchange of opinions.

Here, here! It's an interesting topic and worthy of discussion. I can't claim to be a great expert on the subject, but I'll try to engage in intelligent debate.
Carus Andiae - David Woodall

"The greatest military machine in the history of the universe..."
"What is - the Daleks?"
"No... the Romans!" - Doctor Who: The Pandorica Opens
Quote:After reading the new "Termitator Saving Jesus" thread posts, I have decided to leave R.A.T.

Sad Boards are full of that sort of thing, even religious discussion communities I'm in where it is wholly outside the rules. Some people will always think this sort of thing is funny & either don't think it will upset us or don't care - I don't think it reflects on the board.

Wherever we go we will find this stuff & people judge us on how we handle it. I find they respect the faith more if you turn the other cheek rather than retreating or arguing. It is easier to ignore than stones. Or bullets.

"Do not be deceived: God cannot be mocked. A man reaps what he sows... Let us not become weary in doing good, for at the proper time we will reap a harvest if we do not give up."
from Galatians 6:7-9

see also Jeremiah 20:7-11
Salvianus: Ste Kenwright

A member of Comitatus Late Roman Historical Re-enactment Group

My Re-enactment Journal

~ antiquum obtinens ~
Thank you all for your kind comments. Life is so short, time is so precious. I've had much pain & exhaustion for 13+ months, too many irons in too many fires, slipped yet again. I decided not to wipe the dust off my sandals & leave town behind. Thank you for bearing with me & helping me up again. Back to "Plan B", where I start posting Early Christian images here for discussion, probably this weekend. Thank you all again. Pax vobiscvm, +r
AMDG
Wm. / *r
Welcome back
Jona Lendering
My website
Big Grin
Salvianus: Ste Kenwright

A member of Comitatus Late Roman Historical Re-enactment Group

My Re-enactment Journal

~ antiquum obtinens ~