Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reconstructed tunics
now i see 2 schools in modern reenactors tunics.

1 is the wide square that have to be pulled up over a cord to shorten them

2 tunics cut to the wearer for both width and length.

both used for the same time periods. i thought they were supposed to be these giant things pleated and the fitted ones came later....

is this an ease thing for wearin in armour? or a modern mistake in reenactors or is both period?
Tiberius Claudius Lupus

Chuck Russell
Keyser,WV, USA
[url:em57ti3w]http://home.armourarchive.org/members/flonzy/Roman/index.htm[/url]
Chuck, if you look at the Arch of Constantine you'll see that even then the tunica are gathered up and hang over the belt, like in this detail. It has been pointed out that tunics are actually expensive to replace, especially if you go for the lightweight finer option using an initial 3m x 1.5m piece of wool. It ain't cheap, but they are comfortable. And yes, it is a tight fit under armour, so it may render the hardware a bit redundant unless you sacrifice the subarmalis.

Dan Howard did question why a thick subarmalis would be needed with all that wool underneath, I seem to remember, and he has a point. Have they become thick simply because the tunica being worn by re-enactors were close fitting and didn't double up under the armour?
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
I think you are right, Jim.

I wil make a subarmalis with a little shoulder padding and no torso padding to wear under my seg. The bunched up fabric of the tunic is more than enough. The main function of the subarmalis will be not to have my tunic stained every time I wear my armour.

Vale,
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
i was just wondering Smile i mean you can tell in pictures who has a fitted tunic and who has the big tunics. they hang or dont hang that is hehehe differently.. i was just wondering why people chose to use the smaller ones instead of the correct biggins
Tiberius Claudius Lupus

Chuck Russell
Keyser,WV, USA
[url:em57ti3w]http://home.armourarchive.org/members/flonzy/Roman/index.htm[/url]
Could be that there is a lot of imitation going on? I think there are people who do certain things not because these things are archaeological and historical correct but because the people they meet on events and such do it that way. I could be wrong though :wink:

A narrow T-shirt tunica looks a lot more normal to our modern tastes. A wide baggy tunica may look rather clumsy or ungracious UNTIL you learn to appreciate it and then you will vastly prefer it over the T-shirt type.

Vale,
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be