Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Caesar’s Legions osprey
Can anyone tell me if Caesar’s Legions is the complete writtings of Men-At-Arms 291,283,46 or just bits and pieces.

If this is the wrong place to post this, Sorry and please move it.

Thanks
Steve
Hi Steve!
I suggest next time you ask in References & Reviews.

283 (Early Roman Armies)
Contains period from 753BC to the third century BC. So there is nothing about Caesar's legions.

46 (The Roman Amry from Caesar to Trajan)
Mostly about post-caesar army, but there is some valuable info.

283 (Republican Roman Army 200-104BC)
Good source. Pre-ceasar roman army.

Arrow I recommend {71} Roman Legionary 58BC-AD69, it's good source on Caesar legions and early principate.
Martin
Next time I'll post over there.
Caesar’s Legions is an osprey book that is supposed to be all three books in one. I’m just not sure if it all three complete books or just bits and pieces.

Thanks I'll also check into {71} Roman Legionary 58BC-AD69
Steve
Sorry for misunderstanding. :oops:

I suppose that Caesar legions is complete set of these three titles. I have all of them, each is 48 pages, i.e. 3x48=144 pages.

I have similiar book of three Osprey titles and the book is complete, not bits and pieces.
Martin
Thanks once again.
Are you saying that Caesar legions is 144 pages? which would be all three books?
Steve
Yes, Ceasar's legions is 144 pages - it means all three books in one.
Martin
Thanks,
I just read up on Roman Legionary 58BC-AD69, and it looks like a good book to get also.
Steve
Moved to the References and Reviews section.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Doesn't look as if you got a straight answer, Steve, so "Yes!"
Caesar's Legions is a compilation of Men-At-Arms 283, 291, and 46, with a 2-page index thrown in.
** Vincula/Lucy **
Thanks
Steve
Michael Simkins says that his part of the book is way out of date and needs to be rewritten, but Osprey doesn't really care. They are, instead, reselling his old work (unedited) and having someone else write a new one.
Caius Fabius Maior
Charles Foxtrot
moderator, Roman Army Talk
link to the rules for posting
[url:2zv11pbx]http://romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=22853[/url]
its is but its missing the big plates and such that the artists usually do in the middle of the book.
Tiberius Claudius Lupus

Chuck Russell
Keyser,WV, USA
[url:em57ti3w]http://home.armourarchive.org/members/flonzy/Roman/index.htm[/url]
Just for clarification, when you say that its missing the big plates, are you talking about the larger prints of art? Are you saying that Caesar's Legions is missing some artwork that you’d find in Men-At-Arms 291,283,46? If so, then to get the complete work one should by the books individually.
Steve
Don't panic. The plates are all there.
** Vincula/Lucy **
Quote:They are, instead, reselling his old work (unedited) and having someone else write a new one.
A new one about the early legions? Why? Weren't these periods covered by Ross Cowan and others?
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)