Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Picking an army
Hi all!<br>
I'm considering adding another aspect to my all-consuming Roman hobby: wargaming. I saw the figures on the wargamesfoundry site, and although being a 1/35 or 54mm modeller, my hands were itching to get at some of these fellows. Besides, I've always been interested in wargaming.<br>
I still have to pick an army though. Romans are of course fetching, but I like their hoplites too and...and...and...<br>
Anyone got any experience with Warhammer Ancient Battles? What kind of army is best to start out with? Any ideas? <p>Greets<BR>
<BR>
Jasper</p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://pub45.ezboard.com/ujasperoorthuys.showPublicProfile?language=EN>Jasper Oorthuys</A> at: 8/22/01 12:15:33 pm<br></i>
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
I have a whole load of their newcollection hoplites, they're excellent figures, especially the Spartans. THe marian Romans are also looking good, there's a fair bit more to come in that range i believe, Gallic cavalry and the like, and the figures have more variation than the imperial Romans. Depends what period you want to go for in hte ned.<br>
<br>
As to WAB I have a copy but i've never actauuly played the rules. So far as I can see hte great advantage with it is that the units sizes are decided by you, within ratios relevent for each army list. This is good for foundry as htey sell in those multipacks, the only problem with them really.With DBA you may only need to buy 2 figures for a light troop element, but you'd have to get 8 minis from foundry. Seeing as they're expensive anyway that's double ouch. <p></p><i></i>
In the name of heaven Catiline, how long do you propose to exploit our patience..
i have played WAB. . i have played them quite a lot personnaly i don't think they are particulary good but what else is out there. . .there seems to be no other good rules! <p>Have a nice day
and
Die with honour....
Clan Warlord</p><i></i>
I have played quite a bit of Warhammer Ancient Battles and have enjoyed it quite a bit. Special rules for different types of armies gives each troop type their character. This is layered onto a set of rules that are simple to play. I say simple but they are not to the level of a "beer and pretzels" game. I currently have a small early Imperial Roman force and enjoy playing against my friend's Celts and Gauls. We're about 50-50 in victories vs. defeats for the Romans.<br>
I would suggest that you try to find someone local to you that is playing this and try it. The game is simple to learn but challenging to master like most classic games. Let me know how you like it.<br>
<br>
Germanicus <p></p><i></i>
Still thinking about it, and a bit in doubt. Don't know anyone in the area that plays this game and though some friends are interested, figures are quite expensive, and since I hardly get round to painting my normal models, I still have to decide. I'm tempted, but there's so much else to do.<br>
You see, if I try to do too much, at the expense of RA or RAT, I get in trouble with Jenny<br>
<p>Greets<BR>
<BR>
Jasper</p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://pub45.ezboard.com/ujasperoorthuys.showPublicProfile?language=EN>Jasper Oorthuys</A> at: 8/24/01 4:19:20 pm<br></i>
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
That's right! Now back to work, you! ODE EM Or I'll have my speculatores give you a little "motivation" ...<br>
<br>
E EM<br>
Kidding!<br>
<br>
Jenny <p></p><i></i>
Cheers,
Jenny
Founder, Roman Army Talk and RomanArmy.com

We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best we can find in our travels is an honest friend.
-- Robert Louis Stevenson
Hi,<br>
I have quite a lot of the wonderful Foundry figurines from Caesarian Roman to WW1. Mostly I have a big imperial roman army. Yes it's expensive but when you see all this fantastic 28 mm figures aligned in cohort ready to strike, well I'm nearly overcome by emotion ;-)<br>
I play WAB with some friends and we have a lot of fun with it. This rules gave you a very good base and you can always customise them... We prefer rules which gave fun than over complicated one. <p></p><i></i>
Has anyone here used the wargame rules 'Tactica', by arty Conliffe?<br>
hey were recommended as beind good and layout figure numbers for different types of ancient armies including Roman variants.<br>
However I have not tried these myself, but they are supposed to be 'historical' and easy to use. I await a set as i write. <p></p><i></i>
Hi<br>
I would highly recommend Late Republican Romans. Nice armour, pretty straightforward army (legions, legions and oh yeah more LEGIONS) and the best selection of opponents (Spanish, Gauls, British, Germans, Numidians, Ptolemaics, Pontics, Parthians, Armenians and if you're really stuck another Roman army). Plus there's the great selection of interesting characters and first rate commanders to lead your legions; Caesar, Sertorius, Pompey on a good day, Labienus etc..<br>
<br>
there is also a great selection of figures too; in 25mm Foundry, Gripping Beast and Navigator Miniatures all make excelent figures. Old Glory isn't bad, but the others are better. In 15mm there is Essex, Old Glory and Testudo.<br>
<br>
James <p></p><i></i>