Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
15mm figs?
Avete!<br>
<br>
I love to paint metal miniatures, but my favorite to do are 15mm figs. I've done a couple hundred orcs, ogres, etc. But I was wondering if there was a company that does 15mm or around that size that has accurate portrayels of Roman legionaires. I don't really care what the time period is of the figs, but I'd prefer early imperial to as far back as the republic.<br>
And has anyone ever tried painting those little guys with tooth picks? It works..just chew on the tip for awhile and you get a brush if you do it right. Well..<br>
<br>
Vale enim nunc,<br>
C. Brianus <p></p><i></i>
LOL... Old Glory makes some of the best 15mm or 25mm Romans I've seen in the U.S. Go looking for regional wargaming clubs and ask them for a list of local Old Glory suppliers. Very affordable also. Good proportions, unlike the dwarfesque Essex (which I also like).<br>
<br>
I highly recommend cat whiskers for fine details -- but make sure the cat's through with them first!<br>
<br>
Jenny <p></p><i></i>
Cheers,
Jenny
Founder, Roman Army Talk and RomanArmy.com

We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best we can find in our travels is an honest friend.
-- Robert Louis Stevenson
He he..well, my cat is a little turd soo..lol. I'll have to try that. A local hobby shop owner recommended that toothpick idea to me..the brush just wasn't cutting it on the detail level.<br>
Vale enim nunc,<br>
C. Brianus <p></p><i></i>
You could try different paint for the detail. For the real tiny stuff (eyes etc.) I usually use fine brushes (i.e.3/0) and oil-paints. Good oil-paints can be handled in smaller amounts than enamel or acryl paints. They are more expensive though.<br>
<br>
Greets<br>
<br>
Jasper <p></p><i></i>
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Oils! ewww no, but it's personal I suppose.<br>
<br>
One new range of Romans in 15m that l;ooks very good and is getting alot of buzz in DBA circles who use alot of 15s are the new corvus belli range. THey do some very neat looking Gauls as well, all from the looks of their website a lot better than a lot of 15s around.<br>
<br>
I'll search you a url for Corvus Belli, but meantimes ask someone here....<br>
<br>
fanaticus.org/cgi-bin/Ult...tion=intro<br>
<br>
Nice friendly lads, they ought to be able to help out.<br>
<br>
If it's still the same range then Essex had some quite nice Marian Romans, who actually for Essex weren't too bulky, I like them chunky in 15 anyway, but these were good figure, and IIRC fairly accurate. <p><i>Unless the Persians fly away like birds, hide in the earth like mice, or leap into a lake like frogs, they will never see their homes again, but will die under our arrows</i></p><i></i>
In the name of heaven Catiline, how long do you propose to exploit our patience..
What's wrong with oils? Except that you need a bit more patience while they're drying...<br>
<br>
Greets<br>
<br>
Jasper <p></p><i></i>
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Maybe it's the one's I'v3e used,, i just dislike the consistency, and never managed to get the same control I can with acrylics. Plus patience is, I'm ashamded to say, a factor <p><i>Unless the Persians fly away like birds, hide in the earth like mice, or leap into a lake like frogs, they will never see their homes again, but will die under our arrows</i></p><i></i>
In the name of heaven Catiline, how long do you propose to exploit our patience..
Yeah, well, oils are not easy flowing, quick drying paints. Maybe they're not very usable for 15 and 25mm wargame figs. But I swear by them for larger ones, skin especially.<br>
<br>
Greets<br>
<br>
Jasper<br>
<p></p><i></i>
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
as someone mentioned earlier i think essex do some good 15mm figures i have seen some and they look nice!<br>
<br>
oh good to see u cat<br>
<br>
Cya JAG<br>
<br>
p.s. oh forgot to say if u r looking 4 the roman period u will be in luck as it is such a popular time! so there will be some out there which will be perfect 4 u! (the rules tho hmmmmmm i never found perfect ones of them. . but that differerent!) <p>Have a nice day
and
Die with honour....
Clan Warlord</p><i></i>
Good to see you outside the Shameless thread <p></p><i></i>
lol me shameless thread never!! lol<br>
<br>
talking bout rules earlier does any1 know a good set of anciant rules coz my club and me r stumped :confused: <p>Have a nice day
and
Die with honour....
Clan Warlord</p><i></i>
Regarding rules for ancients.<br>
I have been recommended a set (from US I believe called 'Tactica' by Arty Conliffe. I have a set on the way(??) from a friend and if I ever get them I shall let you know, unless anybody else knows of these rules? <p></p><i></i>
I have late Republican legionaries from Essex, Old Glroy and Testudo. All are nice in their own ways. Essex are easier to paint; nice and smooth. Old Glory are more active, but chunky and their tunics seem too short (I keep texpecting to be mooned by my gregarii). Testudo are nice, lots of detail but the shields seem on the small side and they are kinda flat.<br>
<br>
James <p></p><i></i>

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  FOG 15mm Mid Republican Legions Brian Shafer 1 2,116 03-06-2017, 03:11 AM
Last Post: Bryan
  Inaccurate Old Glory 15mm legionaries Anonymous 8 3,070 09-19-2002, 03:54 AM
Last Post: Anonymous