Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Geography/Climate question
Dear Roman Army Talkers,
I may be relocating to the Decatur/Huntsville, Alabama area and was curious what geographical location occupied by the Romans is most similar to this part of Alabama. Does anyone out there have any ideas?

I guess I'm getting at, did any of the parts of the Roman empire have the ungodly heat and humidity Alabama has? Thanks for any help on this.

John /Luc. Ambr. Ianuarianus
John Lucas
Luc. Ambr. Ianuarianus
How 'bout southern Italy? Or the Po valley in summer?
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
How about border outpost on Eufrates or Nile?
Kind regards
Robert and Stefanos, thank you for your suggestions.

I've always imagined the weather of Cleveland, Ohio to be akin to the Northern frontier: mild summers and cold, wet, and gloomy winters.

May be I'll imagine my relocation to Alabama as being stationed in an exotic, and much warmer, locale such as southern Italy or the Nile or Euphrates.

Valete amici!

John/Luc. Ambr. Ianuarianus
John Lucas
Luc. Ambr. Ianuarianus
Ave,John.
As a native of Alabama(Birmingham) I could tell you alot about the weather there. Yes,it's hot. Yessss,it's humid.Compared to Cleveland anyway.
I have to admit,though, that Huntsville is not as hot or humid as here in west-central Georgia,about 4 hours drive south.
The heat/humidity is more here than even Atlanta(90 miles north) which is about on the same longitude as Birmingham.
In this "neck of the woods" a few miles can make a world of difference.
To compare it to Roman areas of occupation, follow the longitudinal lines
around your globe. Smile
That may give you some idea.
Andy Booker

Gaivs Antonivs Satvrninvs

Andronikos of Athens
Quote:The heat/humidity is more here than even Atlanta(90 miles north)
Confusedhock: Confusedhock: Confusedhock: I once spent a week in Atlanta and must have lost 5 lbs. My face by 10 am -> :oops:
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Dear Andy and Jim,

I looked at a rough global map of latitudinal lines; yeah, Egypt and Arabia are pretty much the closest equivalents, latitudinally speaking. I still wonder about the humidity. I lived in Atlanta for several years; Atlanta's definitely in a tropical zone. There was a summer I remember when it rained like clockwork every afternoon around 4:00PM until 9:00 or 10:00 PM.

Andy, would you happen to know of any Mid to Late roman groups in northern Alabama? I don't currently re-enact, but it's something I've been interested in for a good while. (I've been haunting RAT for several years now.)

Jim, I can sympathize with your weight loss during your brief stay in Atlanta. One of my campus jobs during college was carrying bundles of mail from the academic buildings to the campus postal truck, during the summer. Needless to say, I was fit and trim at the time.

Thanks for the help. Valete, Amici
John Lucas
Luc. Ambr. Ianuarianus
Not sure if I can help, but I'm from North Carolina, and I've spent many a summer in Atlanta, and in Alabama and I can vouch that it is REALLY humid. It's almost to the point where no matter what time of day or night that you venture outside your body will be sticky with sweat. North Carolina is the same way, but at least we get cool nights for the most part. Not a bad place to live, but definitely humid.

As far as comparing it to a province in the Roman Empire...not too sure. I don't think the Romans occupied many places that were subtropical and humid. At least with Egypt the air is dry in most places...same with Judea and North Africa. Best of luck to you!
Gaius Tertius Severus "Terti" / Trey Starnes

"ESSE QUAM VIDERE"