Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Parazonium
Hello,

As I understand it, the parazonium is a Greek weapon.

Have there been any archeological recoveries of a parazonium ? If not, do we know what one should look like, say either from literary sources or carved relief ?

Was it shorter than a hoplite sword, for instance ?

I'd like to have one made but am unsure what the exact shape should look like.

Thanks for any help anyone can offer.
Jaime
Huh, that's interesting, do you have an ancient source which says that it's Greek? I always thought it was an old traditional Roman weapon, though even a very early Italian item could be heavily Greek-influenced. I have seen a couple interesting swords on antiquities dealer sites that are said to be parazonia, generally with an eagle-head pommel. But I don't know if they really are, or if they might have been from a sculpture, or complete fakes (even old fakes).

Where's Travis? He'll know more, and I know he has some images on his site.

Vale,

Matthew
Matthew Amt (Quintus)
Legio XX, USA
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.larp.com/legioxx/">http://www.larp.com/legioxx/
The term parazonio means "near the belt" or "by the belt".
In Byzantine texts it is refered as paramerio -means "near the thigh" or "by the thigh".
Most ancient sources speak of ΕΓΧΕΙΡΙΔΙΟ-encheiridio
It means literaly something that you have in your hand.
Most examples are Bronze age period. We can assume that tradition was important and the shape was retained.
Some examples from Dodona-unfortuantely not displayed to the general public are dated later.
There some potery examples if you search really hard.
If memory serves me right it is Plutarchos that mentions that Philip was murdered with a ΚΕΛΤΙΚΟ ΕΓΧΕΙΡΙΔΙΟ which implies that a mumber of the things were aquired by trade or loot.
It was the weapon of the psiloi and we can only speculate that it was used as a backup weapon or for "sneacky" work!
Kind regards
Quote:I have seen a couple interesting swords on antiquities dealer sites that are said to be parazonia, generally with an eagle-head pommel. But I don't know if they really are, or if they might have been from a sculpture, or complete fakes (even old fakes)

Much of the Roman statuary which show parazonia are said to be heavily restored. I doubt the Greeks would've had eagle-headed pommels.

Quote:Where's Travis? He'll know more, and I know he has some images on his site.

I've visited his website and he does show a picture.

This is a carry-over from the Hellenistic tradition, where the sword represented the status of the individual. When seen, it is always sheathed, but not on a baldric or belt. Rather it is nestled, usually in the left arm and carried around

[Image: parazoniumagoraathens1b.jpg]

But as you can see, the parazonium is sheathed so I don't know what the shape of the blade looks like.

Quote:There some potery examples if you search really hard.

Thank you for all the useful information, hoplite14gr.

I'll started searching for those images.
Jaime
May I kindly disagree about the picture.
In my opinion it represents a sword NOT a dagger
If we think of the parazonium as dagger I dont think it can serve as example.
Byzantine paramerion is thought to be a single edged shorsword.
Kind regards
Quote:May I kindly disagree about the picture.
In my opinion it represents a sword NOT a dagger

Hmm...on some Roman imperial statues, parazonia are seen to be this long. But, if I remember correctly, Travis thinks this may be just artistic license on the part of the sculptors.

Although, it is interesting how that sword conforms to the size and shape to the ones seen on imperial statues. Maybe they're mis-identified and the Emperors sometimes did carry a full length sword ?

[Image: luciusverusloricatadetb.jpg][Image: maureliusloricatab.jpg]
Lucius Verus carries one in his right arm, while Marcus carries it in the left.
Quote:Byzantine paramerion is thought to be a single edged shorsword.

Thank you. I'd like to get my reproduction right, so please do point out any errors you see.
Jaime
Osprey "Byzantine Armies" shows an icon with a paramerion shortsword example on page 33. Icon in the Paris national library.

Greek pomel with eagle head handle exists in National Meusem in Athens and with horse head in Olympia. But they are kopis(machera) handles.

I will agree with the comment tha there is a good chance that the statues weapons have been misinterpreted.
If we belive Plutarchos Spartan sword was slightly bigger than a dagger.

Kind regards
I'm guessing this is the most accurate portrayal of a parazonium. It's a Roman statue found in Rhodes which dates to the 2nd C. AD.

[Image: rhodesstatue.jpg]

Quote:Osprey "Byzantine Armies" shows an icon with a paramerion shortsword example on page 33. Icon in the Paris national library.

Wow, I'll check it out. Thank, hoplite14gr Big Grin

Quote:Greek pomel with eagle head handle exists in National Meusem in Athens and with horse head in Olympia

I stand corrected. I thought it would've been carried by the lower ranks, that's why I thought they wouldn't have an eagle-head pommel.
Jaime
Very heavy crossguard for a dagger. I may be mistaken but it seems like a sword to me. Kind regards.
The old debate : when does a dagger become a sword ? :lol:

It seems short enough to qualify as a dagger to me. But, you're right. That cross-guard does seem a bit wide.
Jaime
What I have seen-ancient and modern-that most people consider a knife or dagger has usually a blade less than to 2 human palms in length.
But I know this is not objective standard.
Or perhaps I am influenced from an unconfirmed story that the famous Fairburn-Shycks commando dagger is said to be modelled on an ancient Greek dagger design.
Hope I did not create any difficulties
Kind regards
Quote:What I have seen-ancient and modern-that most people consider a knife or dagger has usually a blade less than to 2 human palms in length.
But I know this is not objective standard.

Oh, that's interesting. This reminds me of the famous scene from "Crocodile Dundee" :lol:

Quote:Hope I did not create any difficulties

Not at all. In fact, quite the contrary. I'd hate to have an inaccurate parazonium.
Jaime
If I got it correct I possibly helped in the handle part but the question still remains the blade. Saddly most Classical era dagger examples are fragments leaving a lot into speculation and pottery does not help much.
The safest approach in my opinion is possibly the Bronze age blades if you do a classic parazonum and the falchion like blade if you do a Byzantine paramerion. That is the conservative appoach.
Kind regards
Ah, we may be arguing a lot of terminology, here. I always thought of parazonium as referring to a Roman officer's weapon, but sure, if the word is Greek then it must refer to other things as well. Knowing how the Greeks loved to mix and match their words, it could be applied to any number of things! What do the Bronze Age examples look like? And how do we know they can be called "parazonium" since the artifacts aren't inscribed as such?

One problem with the Roman version is that it seems to have had several forms, some like daggers and some like swords. It's just the fact that it's being carried by an aristocratic officer that makes it a "parazonium". Probably we're using the term more rigidly than the ancients ever would have (just like "gladius" and "scutum"). Probably the later Roman information isn't really as relevant, since the Roman traditions would date way back into the early Republic--heck, that's before the Hellenistic era, even!

I'm surprised the Spartan short sword is getting mentioned, too--didn't think that had anything to do with it. But again, with interchageable terminology...

Theodosius, that third photo you posted isn't an armored person, but a sculpture of a trophy, it seems, in a very Hellenistic style. The sword looks like a regular late hoplite sword to me, including the baldric. Much of what looks like the guard could be the throat of the scabbard (which might enclose the guard). The second photo shows what I would call a parazonium, but I think the guard is a later restoration--see the repair line?

Quite a tangle!

Matthew
Matthew Amt (Quintus)
Legio XX, USA
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.larp.com/legioxx/">http://www.larp.com/legioxx/
The words are definetly Greek but they might be newer terms possibly Byzantine. I mentioned the most usual term for dagger in ancient sources is Enheiridio. I got the impression that Theodosions was pursuing the dagger so I directed him to that.
Kind regards