Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wargames Clubs!
Ave!

Way back in 1968 I formed the North London Wargames Group (NLWG). I ran the club with the aid of a committee for three years after which, due to job considerations and other obligations, I was forced to resign. I'm still alledged to be an honourary life vice president, although, until recently, I've had little or no contact with the club since 1972?

Some of the original members, who were school-boys then, are running the club now. NLWG is possibly one of the oldest wargames clubs in the UK.

In August, last year, the club launched it's very first website. It's still in the embryonic stage with very little traffic. If you click on the link beneath my sig you'll see what I mean.

I have this idea about what I call virtual members, similar to us on this Forum.

If you except the basic concepts of pen-pals and twinnning between cities, why not twinning between wargame clubs?

I would imagine that most wargames clubs, irrespective of where they are in the world, share many fundamental interests.

What if, all wargamers, who are also members of this Forum, register on the NLWG website and initiate discussions?

It would be an interesting experiment to see what happens. Who knows, it just might be the start of something good and long lasting.

I'm curious to know what other members think of this idea?

Vale

M. Spedius Corbulo
[Image: spedius-mcmxliii.gif]
~~~~~~Jim Poulton~~~~~~
North London Wargames Group
Ave!

I've posted this message on two other websites, to test the water, so to speak.

This is the reply that one of them offered me.

"Have you heard of the bhgs? It's an organisation that tries to bring all the UK wargames clubs together for competitions etc.

www.bhgs.co.uk

If you're not already a member than join up. Also, I think they host links to other wargames groups so let them know about your site & they might put up a link to it
!"

I must admit to not having heard of The British Historical Games Society before, how about you?

I must also confess to being out of the loop about current activities on the wargames front.

Vale

M. Spedius Corbulo
~~~~~~Jim Poulton~~~~~~
haven't heard of it, but then again i come from Holland (isn't that weird? :wink: )

I only play Warhammer with my friends (no, they are not imaginary...)
gr,
Jeroen Pelgrom
Rules for Posting

I would rather have fire storms of atmospheres than this cruel descent from a thousand years of dreams.
Quote:haven't heard of it, but then again i come from Holland (isn't that weird? :wink: )
I only play Warhammer with my friends (no, they are not imaginary...)

Ave Jeroen,

Is that you in the piccie?

What a dashing chap you look, (for a Dutchman, he! he!)

I do believe the guys at NLWG play warhammer too.

Are you quite sure about these "non-imaginary" friends?

Vale

M. Spedius Corbulo
~~~~~~Jim Poulton~~~~~~
Ave!

This is an appeal to those talented members in our community who are also artists and all variations thereof.

In an attempt to drag NLWG into the 21st century there are a number of radical steps that may be taken.

One of those is an emblem and motto for the group members to identify with and rally round.

Here are my thoughts about the design of the club emblem and motto.

Picture this, if you will, a scroll type banner with North London Wargames Group on it. This banner is supported and attached at both ends to lances. At the bottom end of the lances is another banner with the motto, Nuli Secundus - Second To None!, this is also attached at both ends. This gives us the frame and within that is a shield. The shield is overlayed by a compass indicating the four cardinal points, N = N, W = L, S = W and E = G. This overlay conviently splits the shield up into four fields. In each field could be, for example, a computer, a Roman shield, an 18th century frigate and a modern tank. Or perhaps something similar but simpler. I believe the traditional symbol for battles is crossed swords.

If you would care to click on the link beneath my sig you will see on the NLWG website a yawning space to the right of the site navigation buttons. This design is for that space. You will also note that there is a design futher down the page. This new design will replace the old, I hope.

Criteria: So that the welcome screen opens quickly, please don't overload your image with massive detail and thereby making it hard to load.

Reward: All I can offer is my thanks and perhaps some Laudes points.

Historical Note: "Nuli Secundus" is the motto of the Coldstream Guards. I served seven years in the Welsh Guards our regimental motto was "Cymru Am Byth" or "Wales Forever".

Vale

M. Spedius Corbulo
~~~~~~Jim Poulton~~~~~~
Quote:Is that you in the piccie?

That's me indeed!
gr,
Jeroen Pelgrom
Rules for Posting

I would rather have fire storms of atmospheres than this cruel descent from a thousand years of dreams.