Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
There\'s no \"halt\" for progress ......
....frankly, I was not very sure as to in which category the following News should have been put :? ....
News popped up that german scientists have developped a laser-based technique for directly analyzing finds at excavation sites.
As yet it is not perfectly clear whether they do actually mean this "in situ" or just "on site".
But one things is already sure: it will speed up "findings" quite a bit and possibly cut down costs at the same time.
(They actually say "...analyzing.... in a second" ...)
This is the official Website:
http://www.hs-koblenz.de/rac/aktuelles/p...ndstuecke/
There's also a Video linked in the lower part of that page.
Unfortunately it also says: "This page is not available in Englisch"
I've requested a press not in English, so .... let's wait & see

Greez

Simplex
Siggi K.
Boy! Those German scientists!
What next? A bucket to carry "heavy water"? :dizzy:
Alan J. Campbell

member of Legio III Cyrenaica and the Uncouth Barbarians

Author of:
The Demon's Door Bolt (2011)
Forging the Blade (2012)

"It's good to be king. Even when you're dead!"
             Old Yuezhi/Pazyrk proverb
...a laser-based system for quality-checking of "witty" postings in a second ? :wink:

Greez

Siggi
Siggi K.
Got-cha!
Clickity, click. Stomp. Stomp. :whistle:
Alan J. Campbell

member of Legio III Cyrenaica and the Uncouth Barbarians

Author of:
The Demon's Door Bolt (2011)
Forging the Blade (2012)

"It's good to be king. Even when you're dead!"
             Old Yuezhi/Pazyrk proverb
....ooops s.th. went wrong in the first attempt. :? Message goen amiss in "Silicone valley" ?!
O.K. another one:
Prof.Dr. Ankerhold from the Koblenz University of Applied Sciences was so kind to help me out in my quest for a more official english press release.
Here we go:
Tracing roman settlers on the Middle Rhine Valley -- A laser-based analysis of archeological finds.
17.04.2014 -- RheinAhrCampus Remagen -- Mathematik und Technik
[pic]http://www.hs-koblenz.de/typo3temp/_processed_/csm_Roemischer_Schluessel_Blei-Bronze_845f3db4d5.jpg[/pic]
(UnderlineSmile
Determinating the chemical composition of a lead-bronze roman key swiftly and contactless by laser-light
REMAGEN/AHRWEILER.
About 2000 years ago the region around Bonn and Remagen had been colonized by the Romans which have left a number of traces.
Remains of buildings and statues but also objects of everyday-use like mirrors, metal sieves, brooches, bells and coinage belong to that.
Archeologists frequently are interested in the material composition of such finds to reconstruct the routes of trade or to assess the abilities of the people that had lived then.
In a joint venture with the museum of the Roman Villa at Bad Neuenahr-Ahrweiler the research group of "Laser Spectroscopy and Photonics" at the RheinAhrCampus Remagen, a division of the University of Applied Sciences Koblenz, headed by the two Professors Dr. Georg Ankerhold and Dr. Peter Kohns, has developed a spectroscopic process by which "on-site" analyzing finds for their chemical components can be achieved in a fraction of a second by the use of a laser beam.
Both Professors have been scrutinizing a number of archeological finds and have come to informative results, which are now on display at the Roman Villa in the setting of an exhibition running until Nov. 16th 2014.
(Remark:
Römer Villa Museum- Bad Neuenahr-Ahrweiler/Roman Villa Museum Bad Neuenahr-Ahrweiler:
http://stadt.bad-neuenahr-ahrweiler.de/s...emervilla/ )
In its course (also) a short video-footage on how short laser pulses are utilized to scan and analyze archeological samples will be shown to the visitors.
It is beyond the sole analysis of finds, that this laser-based procedure can also be employed for many up-to-date tasks in an industrial setting where you need to evaluate the chemical composition of metal-alloys, stones, concrete and other materials without contact and very quickly -- like it has been demonstrated to the public at this year's Hannover Industrial Fair 2014.
VIDEO:
A new laser-based analysing-process at the Koblenz University for Applied Sciences

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=906kXkR36...e=youtu.be
Headline:
Analysis of roman finds from the Middle Rhine area (1st to 4th century AD)
RheinAhrCampus Remagen
Optics and Laser-Technology
www.hs-koblenz.de/laser-spectroscopy
---------------------------------------------------
Joint-venture project
The Roman Villa at Bad Neuenahr-Ahrweiler
RheinAhrCampus Remagen
Optics and Laser Technology
www.hs-koblenz.de/laser-spectroscopy
0:16
Laser-induced plasma spectroscopy (LIBS) for elemental analyzing
Prof. Dr. Georg Ankerholt
Prof. Dr. Peter Kohns
M.Sc. Christian Beresko
0:39
Result of elemental analysis:
Copper + Tin + Lead
(=Lead-bronze)
1:37
Result of elemental analysis
Copper + Zinc
( =Brass )
Traces of Iron on the shaft
2:04
Result of elemental analysis:
Silver and traces of copper
2:35
EDX
Elemental analysis by scanning electron microscope (REM/SEM)
Prof. Dr. Barbara Kessler
(Remark : SEM ?? For those NOT already "in the know":
http://www.purdue.edu/rem/rs/sem.htm )
2:52
Result of the elemental analysis:
Silver and traces of copper.
2:58:
(Remark : The silver peak = Material is predominantely silver. ( = 83,30%))

Once again I'm taking the opportunityto thank ProfDr. Ankerhold and his Team for being so supportive in spite of a busy working schedule, travels abroad included !
For those with more interestes:
1) Prof.Dr. Ankerhold sent along a *.pdf of an essay from a scientific magazine with a bit more in-depth informations in German.
As I have no time to translate that too, my offer would be that I pass that on by mail just in case you're interested in more.
2) For those with genuine professional interest, I'd suggest to contact Prof.Dr. Ankerhold directly:
Prof. Dr. Georg Ankerhold
RheinAhrCampus Remagen
University of Applied Sciences Koblenz
Optics and Laser Engineering
Joseph-Rovan-Allee 2
53424 Remagen, GERMANY
Phone +49 (0)2642 932-346
Fax +49 (0)2642 905440-346

Greez

Simplex

[email protected]

www.hs-koblenz.de/ankerhold

pass that one on to you
Siggi K.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  UK tonight on TV:- "Revealed: Boudicca\'s Treasures&quot Tarbicus 9 3,855 11-30-2005, 01:11 PM
Last Post: Tarbicus