Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Illlustrated Vegetius?
I was asked by someone teaching military history if there is anything like an illustrated Vegetius, the seven positions and everything else?
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
No, I am afraid not, to the best of my knowledge.
Francis Hagan

The Barcarii
I have a copy of the Clarke translation that was issued to the American Officer school in 1944. It has the diagrams for the seven battle formations. I cannot remember if there are more because I tend to consult the Milner translation these days.
Adrian Coombs-Hoar
Thanks! Do you know the title? Might be online somewhere.
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
It is online, but it doesn't have the diagrams AFAIK.
Did Vegetius ever eat meat?
Or was it your standard pine nuts and pasta? :unsure:
Alan J. Campbell

member of Legio III Cyrenaica and the Uncouth Barbarians

Author of:
The Demon's Door Bolt (2011)
Forging the Blade (2012)

"It's good to be king. Even when you're dead!"
             Old Yuezhi/Pazyrk proverb
Quote:Thanks! Do you know the title? Might be online somewhere.
[hide]
The Military Institutions of the Romans
[/hide].

As it is Clarke's Vegetius translation published by The Military Service Publishing Company in 1944 and as it contains the diagrams of the seven formations (p. 99-105), I think this is the book ValentinianVictrix mentioned.
Quote:
richsc post=354905 Wrote:Thanks! Do you know the title? Might be online somewhere.
[hide]
The Military Institutions of the Romans
[/hide].

As it is Clarke's Vegetius translation published by The Military Service Publishing Company in 1944 and as it contains the diagrams of the seven formations (p. 99-105), I think this is the book ValentianVictrix mentioned.
I have an edition published by Stackpole Books in 1960 and reprinted in 1965 which is identical to this. A more recent reprint by Greenwood Books is available:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Military-Institu...the+romans

The 'Look Inside' facility does not extend as far as the illustrations but the text is identical in every respect, so I assume that these will be included. Be aware, however, that this is only an abridgement of the first three books. For a full modern translation, you will need Milner's version referred to by Adrian.
Michael King Macdona

And do as adversaries do in law, -
Strive mightily, but eat and drink as friends.
(The Taming of the Shrew: Act 1, Scene 2)