Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Helmet Measurements?
How do you take measurements for helmets?
~~Gavin Nugent~~

Who told you to die! Keep fighting!

If anyone knows of anything in Long Island, New York please tell me.
Measuring your head's perimeter.
[Image: 120px-Septimani_seniores_shield_pattern.svg.png] [Image: Estalada.gif]
Ivan Perelló
[size=150:iu1l6t4o]Credo in Spatham, Corvus sum bellorum[/size]
well, perimeter around and just above the ears, and back and forth across the skull to get the height. That is, for a custom helmet.
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
well, heres a take on teh head measurement thing, how do you pad the inside of ones helmet?
Tiberius Claudius Lupus

Chuck Russell
Keyser,WV, USA
[url:em57ti3w]http://home.armourarchive.org/members/flonzy/Roman/index.htm[/url]
With thick woolen felt or padded linen.

[Image: padding.jpg]

Also check this link: http://www.armae.com/Actualitesetmanuel ... helmet.htm
[Image: 120px-Septimani_seniores_shield_pattern.svg.png] [Image: Estalada.gif]
Ivan Perelló
[size=150:iu1l6t4o]Credo in Spatham, Corvus sum bellorum[/size]
Unless you mean how to allow for the padding? Measure the head and add a bit for the thickness of the padding, whichever you use.
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
For a custom helmet I would get the following measurements -

1. The head circumference at eyebrow level. Try to keep it parallel with the ground with your head in its natural position

2. Over the top, from between the eyebrows to the nape of the neck (where it hinges).

3. Over the top, 90 degrees from the circumference line behind ear to behind the other ear, again at the circumference line.

4. Over the top, 90 degrees from the circumference line from eyebrow end to eyebrow end.

The easiest way is to get an assistant to help you and use plumbing solder. It will follow your heads shape when pulled tight around it. Then simply lift off the pieces and draw around the shape lightly.

Romans helmets should be fairly tight fitting, but I would allow about 5mm for padding. Ear guards were there for a reason.

Andrew