Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hybrid gladius
Disclaimer - this gladius is not based on anything found!!!!

I took my first two gladii and scabbards, which I now dislike very much, and rather than them go to waste or get £10 on Ebay I used them both to make a fantasy piece that at least now looks half decent.

The originals:

[Image: thisnthis.jpg]

The result with some new red leather and a bit of silvering:

[Image: gladius_hybrid.jpg]

I quite like the black leather being left in as it reminds me of Roman domestic colourings.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
The romans seemed to like gaudy decorations. The only thing that would make it better would of been if you had cut out the figures of mars on the scabbard.
Titus Licinius Neuraleanus
aka Lee Holeva
Conscribe te militem in legionibus, vide mundum, inveni terras externas, cognosce miros peregrinos, eviscera eos.
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.legiotricesima.org">http://www.legiotricesima.org
Quote:The romans seemed to like gaudy decorations. The only thing that would make it better would of been if you had cut out the figures of mars on the scabbard.

I know, but that would have meant probably wrecking it, and the idea was to see what I could make from the two gladii. A pendant of a gorgon should be turning up soon-ish so I may mount that on a brass disc and solder it onto the blank bit. The other option is to get some thin brass sheet and do some lattice work which could also be soldered on, or do both. I have a large bull's horn I won on Ebay for £1 on its way as well, and I'm eyeing up the gladius hilt, pommel and handgrip thinking "Hmmm, that could be interesting."

All in all it only took a couple of hours to do once I decided on what to put where.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  hybrid gladius scabbard munazio planco 15 3,182 08-23-2011, 04:22 AM
Last Post: Lonicvs