Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
parma
Most modern repros you see seem to be flat. But since there seem to be basically no shield bosses among the findings that were intended to go onto flat shields (e.g. Illerup: Less than ten out of almost 500, among these most are so badly preserved, that no statement can be made) IMO a slightly dished version would be closer to the findings.
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.
Quote:Most modern repros you see seem to be flat. But since there seem to be basically no shield bosses among the findings that were intended to go onto flat shields (e.g. Illerup: Less than ten out of almost 500, among these most are so badly preserved, that no statement can be made) IMO a slightly dished version would be closer to the findings.

Do you think the 3rd century Illerup finds can be used to state this about the parma in the 1st century AD ? :?

Vale,
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
I carry a parma for my cornicien impression. The handle is horizontal and that works out just fine since it spends most of it's time hanging from the sling. My sling has a solid ring on the left attachment point and a brass J-hook on the right. That allows me to easily hook/unhook the shield without working it around the bear pelt. The top rim rests just under my armpit when I'm playing the horn over my left shoulder. When carring my smaller home-made cornu I can rotate the horn 90 degrees forward and slide the center bar down on top of the parma handle. The cornu lays flat round the parma and hangs from the shield sling as well. this frees up my left hand. I can also wrap my hand around the shield and horn handles and grasp them together.
P. Clodius Secundus (Randi Richert), Legio III Cyrenaica
"Caesar\'s Conquerors"
Quote:Do you think the 3rd century Illerup finds can be used to state this about the parma in the 1st century AD ? :?

Vale,

So, what kind of evidence do we have for a flat parma shield? We are talking of a "classic" parma here...

Vale
Israel M. Sánchez

Mulae Marii- Legio VIIII Hispana
Quote:
Marcus Mummius:3rbz15er Wrote:Do you think the 3rd century Illerup finds can be used to state this about the parma in the 1st century AD ? :?

Vale,

So, what kind of evidence do we have for a flat parma shield? We are talking of a "classic" parma here...

Vale

We can not be sure that any of the round umbones dated to the 1st century AD were fitted to a parma. I also do not know if all the round 1st century umbones that were found have a flat flange or not.

Sculptural evidence often points towards flat parmae. This is one example (early second century): http://www.thorsberg-miniatures.de/art_ ... -mil-4.jpg
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
I see...it's a very interesting subject. So if I understand correctly, the tipically reconstructed flat parma for standard-bears is more a convention based in sculptural evidence than in actual findings, because we can not assess if any of the rounded umbones we know (being flat-flanged or not) belonged to parma-like shields or not.
Israel M. Sánchez

Quote:I see...it's a very interesting subject. So if I understand correctly, the tipically reconstructed flat parmae for standard-bears is more a convention based in sculptural evidence than in actual findings, because we can not assess if any of the rounded umbones we know (being flat-flanged or not) belonged to parma-like shields or not.

Indeed, that's about it. The dimension of most reenactor's parmae is based on Polybius text (writing about an earlier period than the 1st century AD). But I don't think he says anything about them being dished or curved.

Vale,
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
And what dimensions are those, if you have the data at hand?
Israel M. Sánchez

Polybius states that the parma, used by velites was 3 feet in diameter.

Also keep in mind the second post of this thread on the diameter of the parma:

Quote:I based mine on the leather tegimen fragments from Castleford. It measures approximately 600mm (24") (click on the photo to enlarge)

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b242/ ... rma002.jpg

regards,

Vale,
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be
Yeah you are true, i forgot that post...; so, we are talking about a diameter that ranges from 60 to 90 cm aprox...and maybe a flatish design but with doubts.

Vale
Israel M. Sánchez

So the one in the sculpture, if based on a real article, was covered in scales? there fore possibly does not have an umbo?
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
I interpret the scales as a painted design...but certainly the artist missed the umbo.
Israel M. Sánchez

I can see your point, but also can imagine someone of his rank having a parma covered in scales!! Would be highly impressive!
Visne partem mei capere? Comminus agamus! * Me semper rogo, Quid faceret Iulius Caesar? * Confidence is a good thing! Overconfidence is too much of a good thing.
[b]Legio XIIII GMV. (Q. Magivs)RMRS Remember Atuatuca! Vengence will be ours!
Titus Flavius Germanus
Batavian Coh I
Byron Angel
Yes, that would be very...roman i'd say. Smile
Israel M. Sánchez

The Römercohorte Opladen have a parma with the feathers painted onto it. Their parma has an umbo. Sorry, I can't locate a picture of it...

Vale,
Jef Pinceel
a.k.a.
Marcvs Mvmmivs Falco

LEG XI CPF vzw
>Q SER FEST
www.LEGIOXI.be