Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NEW RECRUITS
Well Milan, we use to complain about our own administration just because we don't know how others really work and only imagine that they will be better!<br>
A real pity that Nish is really far away from Novi Sad...<br>
I'll take a look at that link, thanks!<br>
<br>
Aitor <p></p><i></i>
It\'s all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever.

Rolf Steiner
Hi Milan,<br>
<br>
Is there information about that Roman event? I can't find it on that link you sent us. But don't you need medieval re-enactors? This fectival is about the year 1204, is it not?<br>
<br>
Valete,<br>
Valerius/Robert<br>
[url=http://www.fectio.org.uk/" target="top]FECTIENSES SENIORES[/url] <p></p><i></i>
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Well, I'm not so new now, but since this is a forum for more formal introductions, I'm from Wilmington Delaware. I'm a European history major(because my college didn't have military history or classical studies as a major), and have long been interested in the Roman Army. I will be commisioned as a 2nd Lieutenant in the US Army in May 04. I'll be at Transportation Officer Basic Course in Fort Eustis Virginia until October. I'm not really into reenacting, I'm a more hands off, book learner. Love the site, its the only solid outlet I have found for my obsession. <br>
<br>
Vince "Caius Pontius Rufus"-- RufusCaius <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://pub45.ezboard.com/bromanarmytalk.showUserPublicProfile?gid=rufuscaius>RufusCaius</A> at: 4/21/04 4:48 am<br></i>
Salve Rufus! Glad you found the site. If you like indulging your passion Legio XX has monthly workshops that always includes discussions as well as working on armor etc., and you're welcome to attend. You can read about it in our Adlocutio:<br>
<br>
www.larp.com/legioxx <p>Legio XX<br>
Caput dolet, pedes fetent, Iesum non amo<br>
<br>
</p><i></i>
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
Appreciate the offer Rich. Since I should be assigned to Eustis till at least November(and then to the Sand Box perhaps) , I might have a chance to make it to some of the meetings, assuming I don't have Staff Duty or an FTX. I must warn you though my knowledge of Roman equipment pales in comparison to you guys. I know the bare bones from book learnin'--ie: Osprey, Connolly, Webster etc....I want to pick up Coulson and JRES too, but haven't had a chance yet, my current focuses are more toward tactics, logistics and auxiliaries. But I 'm always anxious to learn more, and you guys are the best at what you do(I mean all reenactors, of course...I don't want to offend anyone ). <p></p><i></i>
Not to worry; we all started from nothing. Sharing our knowledge and skills is a large part of what we're in this for. <p>Legio XX<br>
Caput dolet, pedes fetent, Iesum non amo<br>
<br>
</p><i></i>
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
Vince/Rufus,<br>
If I can offer any advice re: Army issues (8 years now as an officer) just contact me off-list, jrscline AT yahoo.com. Happy to help a new officer.<br>
<br>
Have a visit with Rich and company; super nice folks, and not short on the book learning, either.<br>
<br>
Cheers--<br>
Jenny <p></p><i></i>
Cheers,
Jenny
Founder, Roman Army Talk and RomanArmy.com

We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best we can find in our travels is an honest friend.
-- Robert Louis Stevenson
Hi Glad to be here!<br>
<br>
Contexa <p></p><i></i>
Avete Omnes,<br>
<br>
I've actually been here a short while, mostly lurking, but have yet to do the "new recruit" post.<br>
<br>
Real name is Jared Fleury, living in Los Angeles CA, and a member of Legion VI Victrix P F. Roman name is Quintus Forentius Agrippa.<br>
<br>
I have been interested in things of old for as long as I can remember and as a child spent weeks and months at a time as one character or another. I was Roman Centurion for quite a while. Now I am able to replace cardboard and paper mache with cold hard steel. I have done stint in the Renn fair circuit, and find that re-enacting, with an emphasis on "doing it right" has a much higher appeal.<br>
<br>
Professionally I am a film and television prop master, and many of my skills transfer well to making my Roman Kit. (I also sewed all my Elizabethan noble costumes-with an emphasis of course on "getting it right". I am so far very impressed with the level of craftsmenship here, and it makes me proud to call myself Roman.<br>
<br>
I really appreciate getting the benefit of peoples experience from all over the world. A grand thank you to Jenny Cline<br>
<br>
Valete, Quintus Florentius <p></p><i></i>
Thanks much, Captain C, I'll be sure to do that, always happy to get advice from an 0-3. As for Rich, from what I 've heard from my comrades down at Eustis, I should have plenty of weekends off during OBC at least(yeah CSS!), so I should be able to get up there for at least one meeting from June to October. After that I can't say, I know I'm going to Eustis for my PCS too, but it will be a madhouse down there from what I've heard.A good portion of the companies down there stand a good chance of deploying close to when I finish OBC, so it will be an interesting time to take over a platoon leader slot!! Nothing like the possibility of being a cherry LT with a unit in the process deploying to a conflict area!<br>
<br>
--Vince B./ "Rufus" -- [email protected] <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://b30.ezboard.com/bromanarmytalk.showUserPublicProfile?gid=rufuscaius>RufusCaius</A> at: 4/26/04 9:45 pm<br></i>
Yep, Vince, well, there are no safe harbors anyway; we can all expect to go to SWA sooner or later. If not Unpleasant Muslim Country #1, then #2, but the nice thing is the bennies (combat zone tax exemption, hostile fire pay, family sep -- are you single BTW?) Still, after chatting with some wounded soldiers and marines up in Landstuhl (while my husband was there getting surgery), know our guys are really earning those special pays.<br>
<br>
Anyway, getting OT, don't want to clog up list. If you like we can switch to OT forum and talk more there about Army stuff. Quite a few military vets of one country or another here.<br>
<br>
Welcome Contexa and Jared! Make yourselves at home.<br>
<br>
Cheers,<br>
Jenny <p></p><i></i>
Cheers,
Jenny

We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best we can find in our travels is an honest friend.
Wow, it's really cool to find this place. I suppose I ought to introduce myself, too.<br>
<br>
I'm from (and have moved back to) Harrisburg, PA, where I work as a Latin/ logic/ history teacher at a local private school. I'm also the co-author of a Latin primer series for 3-5th graders, which we use at my school (and is now being used at a few other similar schools around the country now). I've been fascinated by Rome and the Roman army ever since we checked out the Peter Connolly books from the local library. I guess I would consider myself an academic historian (I recently finished a doctorate) but my program was more in the modern history vein and I'm unfortunately a bit of an autodidact in the classics/ Roman army vein, my formal training being limited to a few years of high school Latin.<br>
<br>
Are there any re-enactor groups in central PA that anyone knows of? I don't know if I'm able to participate... but it would be truly awesome to bring a group to give a demonstration at my school!<br>
<br>
Aaron <p></p><i></i>
Oops, it should read above "since we checked the Connolly books out of my local library when I was a kid." What I said above was, I gather, rather uninformative. (PROOF-READ, Aaron, proof-read...) Also, since so many of y'all out there are going by a Roman name, maybe I should come up with one. My co-author/ boss has suggested "Eronius" on numerous occasions.<br>
<br>
Aaron. <p></p><i></i>
Aaron,<br>
<br>
"Eronius" -- funny!<br>
<br>
No need to pick a pseudonym; most of the people going by screen names are re-enactors. The quasi-normal rest of us don't go by a nom de plume, so don't feel out of place.<br>
<br>
Welcome aboard!<br>
<br>
Jenny <p></p><i></i>
Cheers,
Jenny

Hi everyone!<br>
<br>
I ran accross this website while conducting research for a project I'm working on (I'm in the early research phase of writing a novel) and I wanted to learn as much as possible about the Roman legions.<br>
<br>
I'm living in Indianapolis, and would love to attend a re-enactment - does anyone know of one? I'd be willing to travel within a two hour radius, so that should cover a good portion of Illinois, lower Michigan, Louisville, and most of western Ohio.<br>
<br>
A little about me - I'm 24 years old and graduating from law school (there probably isn't a lawyer joke I haven't heard yet, but you're welcome to try me! ). I've always been interested by history and writing, got sidetracked in college by going pre-med and am now gearing up to take the bar exam this summer.<br>
<br>
Anyway, I'm looking forward to getting to know those of you who will prove willing to answer all of my silly questions!!<br>
<br>
Thanks to everyone in advance!<br>
<br>
Carina <p></p><i></i>