Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NEW RECRUITS
Welcome all newcomers to the Legions!<br>
<br>
Make yourself at home with your fellow <i> milites</i> and tell us a little bit about yourself, such as...<br>
<br>
- where are you from?<br>
- how'd you become interested in Rome?<br>
- why are you here?<br>
- do you re-enact, are you a student, an academic professional, or..?<br>
<br>
If you've posted once, you're considered a R.A.T. member, so climb aboard and enjoy the forum.<br>
<br>
Cheers,<br>
Jenny Cline<br>
Administrator <p></p><i></i>
Cheers,
Jenny
Founder, Roman Army Talk and RomanArmy.com

We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best we can find in our travels is an honest friend.
-- Robert Louis Stevenson
Service guarantees citizenship <p></p><i></i>
In the name of heaven Catiline, how long do you propose to exploit our patience..
and after twenty years of service a retirement in a colony in a province of your choice <p></p><i></i>
Jeffery Wyss
"Si vos es non secui of solutio tunc vos es secui of preciptate."
Ave??<br>
<br>
All this is strange and exciting to me, I am a Jr. High history teacher and I will be returning to college to work on a MA in history--Europe before 1500. My real interest is in ancient history so I was excited when I discovered this entire world of re-enactors. I was looking for a way to make history more engaging for my students, having replicas of period artifacts etc., when I stumbled into a website offering a gladius. I have swapped emails with Matt (who hasn't?) and I am trying to find a legion to hook up with in Northern California, possibly Legio X Fretensis. Any and all help, direction and advice on how to start would be appreciated.<br>
<br>
thanks, or whatever<br>
Alan (for now) <p></p><i></i>
The only known legionary group in N. Cal. is Legio X Fretensis, right down the road from me, here in Vallejo. You can contact the head honcho of this group at [email protected] Their web site, or, I should say the web site of one of this group's members is http://www.quiknet.com/~fifi/index9.html Good Luck! <p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://pub45.ezboard.com/uthecaesarionsection.showPublicProfile?language=EN>The Caesarion Section</A> at: 11/28/01 3:41:37 am<br></i>
What was the middle thing?<br>
<br>
About re-enacting?<br>
<br>
Oh yeah!<br>
<br>
I think everyone who's a regular already knows I'm a re-enactor (currently a probatus until my kit is finished) with LEGIO IX HISPANA in San Diego. (Ave, Hibernicus!)<br>
<br>
I really have no idea how or why I became interested in Roman military history. I suppose it's a natural extension of my general military history bent. <p><BR><p align=center><font color=gold><font size=3>
__________________<BR>
CASCA TARQUINIUS<BR>
<a href=http://www.legio-ix-hispana.org> LEGIO IX HISPANA</font></font><BR><font color=gold><font size=3>
__________________</font></font></p><i></i>
Ave,<br>
<br>
I'll answer some of the questions...<br>
<br>
I'm from Quebec, Canada, I'm 21 and still a student for 1½ year more.<br>
<br>
I became interested in Rome during with my two years in history at college. I saw on tape Roman reenactors during a class... but times goes on...<br>
<br>
I've been a member of a medieval group but started to get bored until last month, when me and a couple of friends decided to create a group of Roman reenactors, the Legio XII Fulminata cf.geocities.com/legioqc We are currently recruiting and next year, we will start to equip ourselves...<br>
<br>
I've come to Roman Army Talk to have some of my questions answered, to tell other reenactors that we exist and learn more about romans.<br>
<br>
I think that's it!<br>
<br>
Salvete,<br>
<br>
Lucius Marius Victor<br>
Legio XII Fulminata<br>
[email protected] <p></p><i></i>
Great! Welcome aboard -- we'll look forward to having your input and news of how the new legion is growing.<br>
<br>
Cheers,<br>
Jenny <p></p><i></i>
Cheers,
Jenny

We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best we can find in our travels is an honest friend.
<br>
Howdy!/Salve!<br>
I live in Cedar Park, Texas (just north of Austin) and i am a second year latin student so naturaly I'm very interested in rome especially everything about the roman army, mainly the cavalry and everything about horses in general lol. i am here to look for info on everything about the cavalry, for a latin report, no i dont re-enact, i can't cuz im FEMALE and i dont have the equipment, i can get the horse just not the armour. Im a student in high school and if you have any questions at all just ask! and once you get to know me better you'll find out more about me!<br>
<p></p><i>Edited by: <A HREF=http://pub45.ezboard.com/ufeminaequitia.showPublicProfile?language=EN>Femina Equitia</A> at: 12/10/01 2:27:28 am<br></i>
Vale Femina! There are several well known horse women, both British I think, Ann Hyland being one, who have recreated Roman cavalry drill and written about it, and one German, Junkelmann, who has created a cavalry unit and mounted gladiators.<br>
<br>
We have this argument going about who can authentically recreate Romans, but no matter which way you argue, knowing how to handle a horse is a very specialized skill, and rare these days among anyone. If you put everything together for a cavalry impression I dont' think anyone would turn you down. <p>Aulus<br>
Legio XX<br>
ICQ 940236
</p><i></i>
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
I agree! In fact, I don't think there are ANY Roman cavalry re-enactors in the U.S. There are only a few in Europe, for that matter. Give it a go!<br>
<br>
Jenny <p></p><i></i>
Cheers,
Jenny

Living in Calgary and home of Spruce Meadows Horse jumping I am looking at adding a Calvary to the Legion as well. I am just currently looking for blueprints on how to make the Roman saddle. So if any out there have the plans Please feel free to send them my way. Thanks in advance.<br>
Valete<br>
Optio Tiberius<br>
Legion XXI Rapax<br>
www.geocities.com/Legion_XXI_Rapax/ <p></p><i></i>
Write to Ann Hyland, Peter Conolly, or Marcus Junkelmann. All of them have reconstructed Roman saddles and I'm sure one might be willing to share their plans with you, Kaeso.<br>
<br>
J. <p></p><i></i>
Cheers,
Jenny

Thanks for the help *S*<br>
<br>
Tib <p></p><i></i>
Salve<br>
<br>
Well just thought I'd introduce myself<br>
<br>
I'm from Groningen (Netherlands) and i'm 23.<br>
I became interested in Rome years ago after seeing the tv series I Claudius (well I think that's where it started) I came to this forum to see if I could pick up some pointers here and there...boy I thought I new mutch about Romans but seeing this Forum I feel like a Celtic peasant who wandered into Rome by accident...darn I am ignorant (LOL) well thats not really true I hope and even is so one is never to old to learn.<br>
<br>
I dont re-enact...mainly cuz here in the Netherlands there's not mutch to do in that area..o well fortunatly I'm a (would be) writer and I can amuze myself with writing stories about Romans (another reason to be here btw) <p></p><i></i>