Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NEW RECRUITS
Quote:...later on my interests expanded from Egypt until the 14th century AD.
Welcome, Ramesses II. Roman Egypt is a fascinating subject. When I was studying Greek in college, I almost took the advice of my professor to pursue the study of Coptic. I understand it's not as difficult as one might think. With your interest in Rome and Egypt, it could be something you would find profitable someday.
Robert Stroud
The New Scriptorium
Quote:
Ramesses II:1tde5u32 Wrote:...later on my interests expanded from Egypt until the 14th century AD.
Welcome, Ramesses II. Roman Egypt is a fascinating subject. When I was studying Greek in college, I almost took the advice of my professor to pursue the study of Coptic. I understand it's not as difficult as one might think. With your interest in Rome and Egypt, it could be something you would find profitable someday.

Languages and writings do interest me quite a lot, but until now it has just been the 'overall' history, not yet the languages Smile
a.k.a. Daan Vanhamme
Quote:Languages and writings do interest me quite a lot, but until now it has just been the 'overall' history, not yet the languages Smile
Well, I'd suggest you hit the languages sooner rather than later. Europeans are at a clear advantage on this point, emphasizing language studies much earlier than Americans do. You may have heard this, but if someone who speaks two languages is bilingual, and someone who speaks three languages is trilingual, what do you call someone who speaks only one language? Why, an America, of course.

("American" here being the common term for a citizen of the United States, since our Canadian and Latin America neighbors often study a second language.)
Robert Stroud
The New Scriptorium
Quote:
Ramesses II:3nzikwjv Wrote:Languages and writings do interest me quite a lot, but until now it has just been the 'overall' history, not yet the languages Smile
Well, I'd suggest you hit the languages sooner rather than later. Europeans are at a clear advantage on this point, emphasizing language studies much earlier than Americans do. You may have heard this, but if someone who speaks two languages is bilingual, and someone who speaks three languages is trilingual, what do you call someone who speaks only one language? Why, an America, of course.

("American" here being the common term for a citizen of the United States, since our Canadian and Latin America neighbors often study a second language.)

Never heard that one Smile "America/American" is also often used here to point out citizens of the United States, like we say very often "England" to the United Kingdom (that's wrong, I know Wink ).

Here in Belgium we speak roughly four languages, sometimes more. Flemish (=Dutch dialect), French and German as official languages, so we have to learn them anyway. Of course English, since it's so commonly used around the entire world. And then you can choose of course Smile I prefer the classical languages such as Latin, Greek, etc. (not that I'm able to speak them except a couple of words), but there are many who speak Spanish or Italian too. Probably the effect of having so much neighbors...
a.k.a. Daan Vanhamme
Welcome Primitivus and Ramesses!

Rob, it's especially nice to see another military member. Enjoy the board!
Cheers,
Jenny
Founder, Roman Army Talk and RomanArmy.com

We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best we can find in our travels is an honest friend.
-- Robert Louis Stevenson
Welcome Primitivus,

I like Your avatar very much - always when I look at it, does it remind me to my dog who also wears a red collar and to the fact that I wanted to recreate just this mosaic from Pompeii as a little fresco and place it beside our entrance door with the label 'Cave canem'. So Your avatar is a constant reminder for me, please don't change it.

Greets - Uwe

[Image: HollyatRAT.jpg]
Greets - Uwe
Quote:Welcome Primitivus,

I like Your avatar very much - always when I look at it, does it remind me to my dog who also wears a red collar and to the fact that I wanted to recreate just this mosaic from Pompeii as a little fresco and place it beside our entrance door with the label 'Cave canem'. So Your avatar is a constant reminder for me, please don't change it. Greets - Uwe
[Image: HollyatRAT.jpg]
Glad you enjoy the avatar. Your dog is beautiful (bit of shepherd in her/him?). We raised all our kids to love dogs also, and the married two do. Our youngest can only have a cat in his college apartment, but she's delightful too. (She is the most doglike feline I've ever met. Though I'm not sure she'd consider that a compliment!) We buried one of our two border collies several months back. She was 15 1/2 and "worked" all the way up to the end. We got her in the UK and she was a true working dog. Our 13 year old border collie, we adopted about seven years ago in the US. She's much lazier than her "sister" was, though she's always game for a brisk walk--but both of them are definitely as smart as some people I know!
Robert Stroud
The New Scriptorium
Hi Robert,

thank You for Your friendly reply, "Holly" is an 11month old German shepherd (on the photo 4 months) and we are still trying to get our 3 cats used to her and the same in reverse. Our smallest, "Luke", will succeed firstly, may-be. We called him shepherd-tomcat already, before we got the dog, because of his skin and his characteristic to lay down behind the entry door like an awake dog.

[Image: luke.jpg]

Greets - Uwe
Greets - Uwe
Since a few days I'm posting in here and so I think it's time to introduce me to you.

First: please apologize my bad english. It should be better and I promise to practice! Smile

My official name is Barbara Köstner and I'm living in Cologne and Münster, always travelling around, because in Münster there's the rest of the Minervii and my bed, and in Cologne I do work and study, archeology of the roman provinces, ancient history, early christian archeology (in Bonn) and -something very different - sociology.

I've started reenactment when I was a Girl of 13 or 14, and first I did living history in the Merovingian period. Then I met Authari and he persuaded me to join the late roman time Big Grin . I always was interested in ancient history and discovering ancient things in some way - so three years ago I decided to study archeology. And I love what I am doing!

At the moment I'm working an a typology of late roman women's dresses, but nevertheless I'm interested in the military stuff, too.

I came to this forum by the link on vortigerns homepage.

I hope to learn a lot in here!
BAR-BAR-A

Barbara Köstner
Welcome to RAT Barbara, make yourself at home!
gr,
Jeroen Pelgrom
Rules for Posting

I would rather have fire storms of atmospheres than this cruel descent from a thousand years of dreams.
Welcome Barbara! Big Grin
You'll soon discover that you're not the only one experiencing problems with English here... :wink:
A typology of late Roman women's dresses? That sounds really fascinating! Big Grin
I've only made short incursions into the subject and that taking the Piazza Armerina mosaics as a source...
[Image: Oihane.jpg]
[url:24i8boje]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v110/tribunus/DSCF0573.jpg[/url]
Please, keep us posted on your advances! 8)

Aitor
It\'s all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever.

Rolf Steiner
Really nice!

Is there a topic about late roman women's dress anywhere? Sometimes it's really hard to find something in this huge forum... If not, I can open up one.
BAR-BAR-A

Barbara Köstner
Welcome to RAT, Barbara. Big Grin
[size=75:wtt9v943]Susanne Arvidsson

I have not spent months gathering Hoplites from the four corners of the earth just to let
some Swedish pancake in a purloined panoply lop their lower limbs off!
- Paul Allen, Thespian
[/size]

[Image: partofE448.jpg]
Quote:I always was interested in ancient history and discovering ancient things in some way - so three years ago I decided to study archeology. And I love what I am doing!
Welcome Barbara! I envy you Europeans who can actually pursue real archaeology. Here in America we don't have a fraction of that rich history buried beneath our soil. Well, unless there are some, as yet undiscovered, Roman settlements...
Robert Stroud
The New Scriptorium
Barbara,
AFAIK, there aren't any threads on late Roman female clothing...
A really good idea if you would open one on Ancient Civ Talk! Big Grin

Aitor
It\'s all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever.

Rolf Steiner