Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NEW RECRUITS
My name is Juan Santell. I'm 42 and a postal worker living in upstate NY near Rochester. I've been interested in Rome all my life and have recently decided to get into re-enacting. Since I have a family to support (one going off to college this fall) I will be supporting my new habit by armouring. I've sold a couple of pieces already so it's off to a good start. Why am I getting into Roman Legionary re-enacting at this stage of my life? Because Romans are COOL!!! <p></p><i></i>
Hi Juan!<br>
Oh yeah, my dad is so glad I'm off his budget! Tell us about your armouring experiences in Reenactment and reconstruction, or better: write and photograph for a bit on RomanArmy.com!<br>
<p>Greets<BR>
<BR>
Jasper</p><i></i>
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Hi Juan..what do you mean "this stage in my life"?? I'm 48! Glad to have you around. Did you know about the group around Niagra? Legio XXX I believe. I don't know how close that fellow is to you.<br>
What type of armor are you producing? Everyone is always on the lookout for new stuff. We'll be eager to see photos.<br>
<br>
Richard Campbell<br>
<p>Aulus, Legio XX.
the High Noise, Low Signal person for RAT.
ICQ 940236
</p><i></i>
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
Well, now I don't feel so bad, at least there's someone older than I am. Right now my armouring is mostly SCA helmets. They are the largest market in the US right now. I build mostly greathelms, spangenhelms etc. I've also been experimenting with a sparring helmet for the live steel crowd. But have no fear, my personal legionary armour will be held to the highest historical standards, I just sell to the SCA because that's where the money is. My wife just got me a digital camera so when I start my armour I'll be taking a lot of pictures, perhaps a how- to with pictures may develop. But first things first. Sell 2 helmets, buy an imperial gallic "H". Sell 3 helmets, buy an Albion gladius etc. I'll make the rest. As for the XXX, that's about 3 hours away down the NY state thruway, not too far to go occasionally but not something I want to drive every week. (old man, bad back). <p></p><i></i>
Well, let's see. I was one of the first legions to spring up in Canada, post "Gladiator" era. Legio XXX "Ulpia Victrix" was a unit not previously depicted (that I could find, sorry if I missed you.) I figured the early 2nd century came with some really cool kit options, so what the hell. My name is Matt, and I live near Niagara Falls, Ontario, Canada. Unfortunately, there aren't any other units near me, closer than about 8 hours. But as I said, more legions seem to be forming, which is a good indication that Roman re-enacting is gaining popularity.<br>
<br>
Salve. <p>Tiberius Lantanius Magnus
CO/Optio,
Legio XXX "Ulpia Victrix"
(Matt)</p><i></i>
Hello Magnus<br>
<br>
<p></p><i></i>
In the name of heaven Catiline, how long do you propose to exploit our patience..
Greetings from beautiful Central Massachusetts:<br>
<br>
New recruit here. History has been my obsession for many, many years (since before Charlton Heston ever drove a chariot -- & that was back in ... well, never mind... suffice it to say I'm an old puppy to be upping in a new legion!). My interest in the Roman army is less in the "nuts & bolts" of weapons, organization and tactics than in the operational histories and strategic distribution of the legions and detachments. Unit history, if you like. I've just put online the first of a series of sketches I'm putting together: brief histories of Legio III Augusta, and Legio XII Fulminata:<br>
<br>
members.tripod.com/~HAuburn/leghome.html<br>
<br>
I welcome comment, suggestions, questions and constructive criticism. There's also a preliminary bibliography of Legionary Coinage. Over the next few weeks, I should be finishing up Legio III Gallica and Legio VII Claudia, with others to follow as I find the time (8 days a week aren't enough!)<br>
<br>
Regards,<br>
<br>
John H. (bookbinder by trade, historian by obsession) <p></p><i></i>
Welcome john <p></p><i></i>
In the name of heaven Catiline, how long do you propose to exploit our patience..
Hi John,<br>
Welcome to the board! Your histories look good? Did you know we're trying to get the stories of the various legions together on romanarmy.com (needs still a lot of work)? <p>Greets<BR>
<BR>
Jasper</p><i></i>
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Yes, lots! E EM Let's work together on that <p></p><i></i>
Cheers,
Jenny
Founder, Roman Army Talk and RomanArmy.com

We are all travelers in the wilderness of this world, and the best we can find in our travels is an honest friend.
-- Robert Louis Stevenson
salvete commilitones,<br>
<br>
invented by jenny cline, i signed up for romanarmytalk today. i hope my english is not to bad, but since i finished school 15 years passed.<br>
my name is christoph schwab ( C. Claudius Suebus Dentatus Minor ) and i do Roman re - enactment as a memeber of LEG VI VIC COH VI ASTVR ( I. ROEMERCOHORTE OPLADEN e.V. )since 1990.<br>
i hope to find good contacts, information and useful advices on Roman re-enactment and history. me and a friend of mine do administrate the web-site of I. ROEMERCOHORTE OPLADEN e.V. ( www. roemercohorte.de ) and if somebody has critics, advices or suggestion for improvement, we really would appreciate it.<br>
<br>
<br>
vale<br>
C. CLAUDIUS SUEBUS DENTATUS MINOR <p></p><i></i>
Ave et salve, Claudius!<br>
<br>
<p><BR><p align=left><font color=gold><font size=2>
_________________________________<BR>
CASCA TARQVINIVS GEMINVS<BR>
<a href=http://www.legio-ix-hispana.org> LEG IX HSPA COH V CEN VIII CON III </font></font><BR>
<font color=gold><font size=2>
VIRES ET VALOR PRO GLORIA ROMAE<BR>
_________________________________</font></font></p><i></i>
Hello Caius Cladius <p></p><i></i>
Vale claudius! Glad you're here. I hope your cornicen is nearby: I have plenty of questions for him!<br>
<br>
<p>Aulus, Legio XX.
the HIGH NOISE/low signal person for RAT.
ICQ 940236
</p><i></i>
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
Salve,<br>
<br>
Welcome to the board.<br>
<br>
Regards,<br>
<br>
Sander van Dorst <p></p><i></i>