Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Late Cheek pieces attachment
What's the best o more accurate way of attaching the cheek pieces to a late Roman helmet?
Hinged, sewn to leather straps or secured by metal rings?
[Image: 120px-Septimani_seniores_shield_pattern.svg.png] [Image: Estalada.gif]
Ivan Perelló
[size=150:iu1l6t4o]Credo in Spatham, Corvus sum bellorum[/size]
Metal rings?! Confusedhock: I'd love to see an actual example for that... :roll:
I we talk about narrow cheek-pieces with earholes, then I would think of leather straps maybe.
If we talk about broad cheek-pieces with earholes, then I'd say, probably two hinges each, but we'd better go to Novi Sad and examine Berkasovo 2 thoroughly first! :wink:
If we talk about broad cheek-pieces without earholes, than I say one iron hinge each with almost absolute certainty! 8)

Aitor
It\'s all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever.

Rolf Steiner
I took the ring attachment idea from these:
http://geocities.com/ivarmaelstrom/bronzehelm.jpg

[Image: romanreturntonijmegen11_20050702_-425829813.JPG]

The 1st one is a bronze age helmet found in Austria, the 2nd is a spangenhelm reconstruction.
Ivan Perelló
Now I see, thanks! Big Grin
The first helmet is late Bronze age and a little far from 'our' period. Notwithstanding, I'd like to see which evidence did they use for the reconstruction of that VIth century spangenhelm! 8)

Aitor
It\'s all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever.

Rolf Steiner
Well, that's what I did with mine... by now:
[Image: anellescasc.jpg]
And works pretty well.
Ivan Perelló

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Where the belief came from, that Apulo-Corinthian helmets had cheek pieces? Corvus 0 183 01-08-2022, 09:35 AM
Last Post: Corvus
  Late Roman Scabbard attachment- alternative method Caballo 16 5,260 03-02-2008, 07:54 AM
Last Post: garrelt