Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Watford Festival
Those of you who will be attending, please look at the Event's own Forum at <http://greekfestival.proboards52.com>

We have a surgeon prepared to look after any injured parties (no, really) and I am looking for qualified first-aiders to support him.

I have spoken today to Carenza Lewis of "Time Team" (English History programme) and she has agreed to open the Festival along with the chaps doing the religious ceremony. I don't know how many of you outlanders may have seen the programme, but it's big here.
Wow, Paul... I think I have seen some episodes of 'Time Team' on Discovery Channel, one in which they visited a Roman villa in the UK. Big Grin
[size=75:wtt9v943]Susanne Arvidsson

I have not spent months gathering Hoplites from the four corners of the earth just to let
some Swedish pancake in a purloined panoply lop their lower limbs off!
- Paul Allen, Thespian
[/size]

[Image: partofE448.jpg]
That would be the one. I was on the programme once, myself. As a Roman legionary.
So, you do Roman re-enactment as well?

We could do a Hoplite vs Legionary duel, to prove the Legionary's flexibility. :twisted:

I have not spent months gathering Hoplites from the four corners of the earth just to let
- Paul Allen, Thespian
[/size]

My Roman kit is too late for that, but, If we got come auxilliaries, they could do it. Always assuming someone has late Greek kit. Iwe did the campaigns of Pyrrhus of Epirus, I doubt we could find anyone with the right Roman kit. I saw a photo of someone in early Latin kit, but don't know where he came from.
Folks, this is about an event, so it's best moved to... etc., etc,. etc.. Big Grin
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Perhaps, if one of the Hellenistic re-enactors pops over... (check the links in this thread: http://www.romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=6784 ).

What's with the lack of interest in mid-Republic re-enactment? I don't get it! Confusedhock: Ok. one of the contributory causes might be that there's far more archaeological evidence, as far as armour goes, after the Marian Reforms. But yet, there is a plethora of useful literary sources, reliefs etc (Polybius and Livius, anyone?)...

- Paul Allen, Thespian
[/size]

Quote:Folks, this is about an event, so it's best moved to... etc., etc,. etc.. Big Grin
Yes....it is rather confusing as to which thread we should be using at the moment..... :? roll: :wink:
Cristina
The Hoplite Association
[url:n2diviuq]http://www.hoplites.org[/url]
The enemy is less likely to get wind of an advance of cavalry, if the orders for march were passed from mouth to mouth rather than announced by voice of herald, or public notice. Xenophon
-
At events, discuss events.
At military history, discuss military history.

Etc, etc.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
Quote:At events, discuss events.
At military history, discuss military history.

Etc, etc.
just to be really awkward... :twisted:
where do you go if you are discussing both at the same time.... :roll: :wink: :lol:
OK don't answer that one..... :oops: :lol:
regards
Artjes
Cristina
The Hoplite Association
[url:n2diviuq]http://www.hoplites.org[/url]
The enemy is less likely to get wind of an advance of cavalry, if the orders for march were passed from mouth to mouth rather than announced by voice of herald, or public notice. Xenophon
-
We will be creating a new chapter in military history by... re-constructing a phalanx.

And how is that not discussing military history?

- Paul Allen, Thespian
[/size]

[big sigh]
C'mon folks! Of course you can discuss the phalanx re-creation at military history! Just don't lapse into who'll bring what to the party! Is that so difficult? :?
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
Come on, ladies, stop slinging roof-tiles at the nice man and come on over to the Events page.

Sorry, Robert, I've been a bit slow to re-act in a couple of cases. I'm not trying to test your patience, honest.
So, now we're here, what shall we talk about? :roll:
*Ponders*

PAUL! Where are the other Hoplites?!

- Paul Allen, Thespian
[/size]