Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Music of antiquity
Being someone who plays a bit of music, I can't help but wonder what the ancients entertained themselves with in the area of song. Do any of you have any knowledge regarding the music that was played in the Roman Empire, or even some information about the instruments that they used? I can assume that it was something of the lute family from my own knowledge, but I'm sure someone a bit more versed in the likes of ancient instruments could extrapolate a bit. Also I would like to specifically talk about the heart of the empire, in the Italian peninsula, as I'm sure the music played across the entire empire was incredibly varied and born from the particular culture of that area. I understand that a simple Google search could potentially afford me plenty of information on this topic, but I would like to read of the personal experience and knowledge that the members of this fine forum have. In regards to the time period: While I appreciate all information that may be presented to me in this thread, I prefer the earlier Roman Empire rather than the late, as it does not interest me. - Tai
there are one or two threads on the Forum if you search including a link to some "reconstructed" songs and lute music.
Moi Watson

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Merlot in one hand, Cigar in the other; body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming "WOO HOO, what a ride!