Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Thracum Sagittariora
A military diploma from the year 160 AD list 3 ala units and one of them was the Thracum Sagittariora. What do you folks know about this unit that served under Pius? Thracian horsearchers..?
Johnny
Johnny Shumate
Quote:A military diploma from the year 160 AD list 3 ala units and one of them was the Thracum Sagittariora. What do you folks know about this unit that served under Pius? Thracian horsearchers..?
Johnny

Ave TNarcher,

The diploma was RMD-03, 00173 for 7.Mart.160 issued for the province of Syria Palaestina. The ala's full title was Antiana Gallorum et Thracum sagittaria. This is the first time the ala is described as being sagittaria.

What else do you wish to know?

***UPDATE***

I believe the diploma mentioned above is one of at least three issued on the same day with identical constitutions but with three different recipients.

Vale

M. Spedius Corbulo
[Image: spedius-mcmxliii.gif]
~~~~~~Jim Poulton~~~~~~
North London Wargames Group
Spedius,
Thanks for your reply.
Would these soldiers look like regular Roman cavalrymen except armed with bows? Would they wear helmets and mail? I would like details about their appearance.
Thanks again,
Johnny
Johnny Shumate
Possibly. There are a few horsearchers in the imagebase, but since that is offline, I'll have to give you some links to the pics only:
Maris
Rabanis
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Jasper,
Thanks for the images!
Do you have the inscriptions? Any information about their units? I also remember two more from the image base...
Thanks,
Johnny
Johnny Shumate
Here are the inscriptions:
Maris (Ala Parthorum et Araborum)
Rabanis (Ala Augusta Ituraiorum)
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine