Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gallic appearance
I think we can all agree that the guals were fair skinned and taller than many people, we also have have sculptures galore of gallic warriors. So we have a pretty good idea of what many gallic men looked like, but what about women? do we have any good clear depictions of gallic women?

I also think we need to keep in mind often that these people didnt have dental care like we do, if their teeth were crooked they were forever, and also various wounds from accidents with farm tools throughout their life. I have some living experience with those..... :roll: and the scars to prove it!, hey, it looks good on the field.
aka., John Shook
Here, on this Roman Republican denarius of L. Hostilius Saserna, there is the head of a captive Gallic woman right on the obverse, with a carnyx behind her. It is an impression of a Gallic woman from antiquity! In such detail! (See link below) I can't understand it, it says I have reached my maximum upload quota of 1 kb. Is the pic too big? Or can I not post pics?

http://img97.imageshack.us/my.php?image ... 7123as.jpg

Andrew
Andrew James Beaton
Looking for ancient coins of Gallienus, Postumus, Victorinus, Tetricus I and II, and the Severan Era!
thanks, wow, it looks like my sister, the notch in the nose meeting the forehead and all.
aka., John Shook
Wouldn't the Gauls look basically like the French today?
Johnny Shumate
no, they wouldn't, the french are mostly franks, or other gemanic amalgamations, as comerus said, and probably bear little resemblance to the guals. I think the Welsh and irish might be the closest we have to an old celtic type ethnicity, especially since many of the guals migrated to ireland in the 1st c. B.C., and settled entire portions of it. It seems to be borne out by the fact that the coin looked almost identical to members of my family, primarily welsh, and irish, with a very small portion of german and cornish as well.

Again, Im sure not all gauls looked alike at all, there would be some in the north looking germanic, and probably some in the southern part with some italic, or different bits and pieces.
aka., John Shook
I think the blondness of the Gauls was overrated and that modern French and Northern Italians indeed resemble their Gaulish ancestors. Franks didn't have the manpower to change the whole country, especially since they all forgot their Germanic language after some centuries.
--- Marcus F. ---
My surname is of Gallic origin, not Frankish. De La Chaumette means the "Land of the stubble field". When my Huguenot ancestors came to America, they "Anglecanized" it to Shumate. The region where my folks originated was the area of the Arverni. I've always thought of myself Gallic and not Frankish. I don't believe the Franks repopulated France but simply set up a ruling kingdom. Nothing like Britian where so many Saxons displaced the Celts and changed the entire country, including the language.
Johnny

PS-If I Remember correctly, Caesar on his victory parade in Rome, had some of his brunette Gallic prisoners' hair dyed blonde/red...
Johnny Shumate
Here are my "Gallic" features has I strain drawing a Plains Indian bow...
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v245/ ... lains1.jpg
Also, wearing my Celtic trousers..!!!! With an English longbow....
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v245/shumate/ELB1.jpg
Johnny Shumate
Comerus,
Your wife looks very "Irish" to me....
Is she of Huguenot descent..? I was able to do alot of research at my state archives. That is a good place to start. Also, run her name through a Google search, much work may have already been done on her name...
Johnny
Johnny Shumate
Viva la Gauls..!!
(I do have blue eyes)
Johnny
Johnny Shumate
The link has failed Sad
Now it's working!
Johnny Shumate
They look like they have alot of Asian blood. Do you(they) live in the States? Are they part American Indian..?
Johnny
Johnny Shumate
you have the same facial features as my family, just with darker hair. You strike me as looking a little different than many frenchmen, especially in central france, some dont look like any kind of celtic.
aka., John Shook
the nose is just different. Like I said, I doubt if all guals had the exact same facial characteristics, and I never said blonde hair, which seems to be more german anyway than gualish.

I didi just remember that many guals went to southern ireland, and that my family on the irish side is from southern ireland.......no red hair, few typical features, we are brunette or blonde, universally looking like that statue "the dying gual"
aka., John Shook
Quote:Like I said, I doubt if all guals had the exact same facial characteristics, and I never said blonde hair, which seems to be more german anyway than gualish.
I didi just remember that many guals went to southern ireland ..
.. universally looking like that statue "the dying gual"

The dying WHAT?!? Big Grin
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)