Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Festival registration
><

Remarks by Philip on the Athenian Leaders:
Philip said that the Athenians were like the bust of Hermes: all mouth and dick. 
Well good news ... ifI can get the money for the journey and nothing comes in between, you'll get an Egyptian visitor Wink (though if that's ok for you all).
a.k.a. Daan Vanhamme
Nice to hear, Ramesses II. Big Grin

Edit: One day I will have to learn how to spell your name properly!
[size=75:wtt9v943]Susanne Arvidsson

I have not spent months gathering Hoplites from the four corners of the earth just to let
some Swedish pancake in a purloined panoply lop their lower limbs off!
- Paul Allen, Thespian
[/size]

[Image: partofE448.jpg]
I don't know whether our Persian friends are British citizens or not, but I think not, at least in some cases.

Ramesses, I've already said Egyptians are ok.
Quote: Ramesses, I've already said Egyptians are ok.

Hmm!? 18 old, we can have our King Tut? :wink:

Remarks by Philip on the Athenian Leaders:
Philip said that the Athenians were like the bust of Hermes: all mouth and dick. 
Quote:So, it is possible to perform these acts from a moving chariot, the only problem being that his target wasn't moving also.
Well, at least they have half of the equation right.

Seriously, I assume that the individual attempting the fete was less experienced than an ancient warrior would have been. Many military training courses have involved beginning with immobile targets. Presumably, an experienced chariot team could actually strike against mobile enemy forces.
Robert Stroud
The New Scriptorium
I would think it would be the norm to strike against a target that was moving - usually AWAY from the chariot. As I see it, chariots are just Early Cavalry - most effective against unformed or broken troops. As Ana Comnena said of the Norman Cavalry, it was extremely effective - against fleeing troops.
Folks, I moved this thread to the events section.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Thanks, Robert. Smile
[size=75:wtt9v943]Susanne Arvidsson

I have not spent months gathering Hoplites from the four corners of the earth just to let
some Swedish pancake in a purloined panoply lop their lower limbs off!
- Paul Allen, Thespian
[/size]

[Image: partofE448.jpg]
Quote:I've no doubt you'll be offered many "educational opportunities" while you're here! Some may even prove relevant to your field of study! I'm sure you can deal with the other kind. :lol:
ahh......what it is to be young and pretty and be offered opportunites ........I've forgotten :roll: :wink:
I think I will be the Olympias of the Festival..... unfortunately I do not look like Angelina Jolie...probably more like the real one :twisted: hehehe
regards
Arthes
Cristina
The Hoplite Association
[url:n2diviuq]http://www.hoplites.org[/url]
The enemy is less likely to get wind of an advance of cavalry, if the orders for march were passed from mouth to mouth rather than announced by voice of herald, or public notice. Xenophon
-
Aha......before I forget.....
you do realise that the Hoplites have invaded England at least once before....?
According to a book I found in the library...there was an ancient invasion on these sacred shores.....led by some bloke called Agamemnon. He was attacking a place in Cambridgeshire....not far from where our friendly Thespian warrior resides
A place better known as Troy.....!
regards
Arthes
Cristina
The Hoplite Association
[url:n2diviuq]http://www.hoplites.org[/url]
The enemy is less likely to get wind of an advance of cavalry, if the orders for march were passed from mouth to mouth rather than announced by voice of herald, or public notice. Xenophon
-
Quote:According to a book I found in the library...there was an ancient invasion on these sacred shores.....led by some bloke called Agamemnon. He was attacking a place in Cambridgeshire....
Aha. Just as I suspected when I lived in the UK for three years--all roads lead to Cambridgeshire!
Robert Stroud
The New Scriptorium
Quote:Aha......before I forget.....
you do realise that the Hoplites have invaded England at least once before....?
According to a book I found in the library...there was an ancient invasion on these sacred shores.....led by some bloke called Agamemnon. He was attacking a place in Cambridgeshire....not far from where our friendly Thespian warrior resides
A place better known as Troy.....!
regards
Arthes

Can't be. Troy existed, but firstly it was situated in the northwest of Turkey, second the war never really fought as told in the Iliad. It's fiction as Homeros told it, compare it with Lord of the Rings. :wink:

Quote:
paulaallen:1egws0bc Wrote:Ramesses, I've already said Egyptians are ok.

Hmm!? 18 old, we can have our King Tut?

Ramesses was better 8)
Did you know he had already two wives and about 7 children at the age of 18 ? Wink )
a.k.a. Daan Vanhamme
Some would argue that he was the greatest spin-doctor of all.
Possible. But every great man in history was somehow a spin-doctor. Alexander, Caesar, Hannibal, Napoleon, ... and then I forget hundreds of them.
a.k.a. Daan Vanhamme

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ROMEC 2007 registration extended to 31 december 2006!!!!!! MARCvSVIBIvSMAvRINvS 0 1,176 12-16-2006, 05:40 PM
Last Post: MARCvSVIBIvSMAvRINvS