Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
symbol of power, check this frieze out
Hi guys
I recently found this frieze in Rome. I am posting two shots of it with slightly different lighting. Any comments? It is behind the theater of Marcellus, a walkway that has been opened to public about two years ago. I noticed this frieze by accident only recently and the other day I had my camera with me (a rare thing).
Jeffery Wyss
"Si vos es non secui of solutio tunc vos es secui of preciptate."
8 gates but only N-E-W-S have entrance to the inner circle? Eagle on the globe which rests on the stand, maybe milliarium aureum - forum romanum?
Stefan Pop-Lazic
by a stuff demand, and personal hesitation
No, I think that it is the Emperor's scepter. Similar scepters (Not identical IIRW) are held by Consuls leading the games by imperial behalf on late ivory dyptichs.

Aitor
It\'s all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever.

Rolf Steiner
Is it ancient or medieval? The theater of Marcellus belonged to the properties of the Pierleoni family and is, if I recall correctly, now owned by the Caetani.
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
It is a fragment among others that you find near the theater where there were other temples. That is not to say it was part of the theater. I believe it is ancient. To me it doesn't look medieval and not even late roman.
Ciao

I've attached photo of the walk way along which the fragment it to be found. The path joins the Marcellus theater with the "portico of Octavia" and the jewish quarter. Leaving the theater the fragment is on your left just before you get to the ramps that lead up to Octavia's portico.
Jeffery Wyss
"Si vos es non secui of solutio tunc vos es secui of preciptate."
I think that in that case, it belongs to the precinct of the temple of Apollo, which has, indeed, an unusual decoration. On the other hand, I think a Roman sculptor knew how to depict an eagle, and this bird appears to be anatomically incorrect with those oversized wings.
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
Quote:Is it ancient or medieval? The theater of Marcellus belonged to the properties of the Pierleoni family and is, if I recall correctly, now owned by the Caetani.

The T-shaped form of the crenellations shows it to be Roman, rather than medieval. Compare the town/fortress wall mosaic from Fishbourne.

Mike Bishop
You know my method. It is founded upon the observance of trifles

Blogging, tweeting, and mapping Hadrian\'s Wall... because it\'s there

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  sling power/catapult power Johnny Shumate 56 10,535 02-16-2008, 04:07 PM
Last Post: D B Campbell
  Trajanic frieze Goffredo 21 4,632 10-14-2006, 04:33 PM
Last Post: TITVS SABATINVS AQVILIVS