Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Evolution of the greek sword
Hairete kyrioi te kai kyriai

I’m gathering material for an article about the evolution of the Greek sword. It might not be the preferred weapon in a phalanx battle but still, I find the subject interesting.

So, if anyone would like to contribute materials and ideas especially for the early Mycenaean period (nudge, nudge Mathew that would be you if you know what I mean) it would be greatly appreciated.

And yes, I will try to cover the whole Greek antiquity from the Mycenaeans’ hero warriors’ swords to the late Hellenistic ones.

Oh, by the way. I’m not going to publish it, after it’s done, in a couple of weeks time, mundane work schedule permitting, anyone who wants it can have it.
Spyros Kaltikopoulos

Honor to those who in the life they lead
define and guard a Thermopylae.
Never betraying what is right,
consistent and just in all they do
but showing pity also, and compassion
Kavafis the Alexandrian
Go to the Bronze age center and see the work of Brock Hoagaland as far as Mycenean swords are concerned
Kind regards
As always helpfull, thank you Stefanos.
Spyros Kaltikopoulos

Kavafis the Alexandrian
Yup, that's what I was going to suggest. There are actually a couple published articles on the subject, which Brock uses, though they may be a little more wordy and technical than what you plan to write. Actually, there probably isn't much more to add to what Brock's done, just that the iron Naue II developed into the hoplite sword! Seems pretty straightforward.

Have fun!

Matthew
Matthew Amt (Quintus)
Legio XX, USA
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.larp.com/legioxx/">http://www.larp.com/legioxx/
Quote:Hairete kyrioi te kai kyriai

I’m gathering material for an article about the evolution of the Greek sword. It might not be the preferred weapon in a phalanx battle but still, I find the subject interesting.

So, if anyone would like to contribute materials and ideas especially for the early Mycenaean period (nudge, nudge Mathew that would be you if you know what I mean) it would be greatly appreciated.

And yes, I will try to cover the whole Greek antiquity from the Mycenaeans’ hero warriors’ swords to the late Hellenistic ones.

Oh, by the way. I’m not going to publish it, after it’s done, in a couple of weeks time, mundane work schedule permitting, anyone who wants it can have it.

I think you said you can't come to the Festival, this year, Spyros. A pity, you could have presented your findings.

Paul
No Paul, unfortunately I can’t.
But since Stefanos is coming, and if it’s ok with you Stefanos, he can do that for me.
Also I’m on the process of gathering the materials for the dypilon shield which will be probably ready by then.
Expect photos soon.

Also, does anyone has in electronic format the "The First Aegean Swords and Their Ancestory" by N. K. Sandars? Or any relevant article for that matter. And if so could he, or she, email me a copy?

Thank you in advance
Spyros Kaltikopoulos

Kavafis the Alexandrian
Fine by me.
Ask again Brock's help on the ref. you want.
Kind regards
Hasn't Snodgrass made an account on this?
[size=75:wtt9v943]Susanne Arvidsson

I have not spent months gathering Hoplites from the four corners of the earth just to let
some Swedish pancake in a purloined panoply lop their lower limbs off!
- Paul Allen, Thespian
[/size]

[Image: partofE448.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Base for Archaic Greek sword Gaius Decius Aquilius 18 4,188 04-04-2007, 12:57 PM
Last Post: T. Finkas
  Greek Short Sword Johnny Shumate 8 3,662 02-23-2006, 08:03 PM
Last Post: Johnny Shumate