Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Storage and Transport of equipment
Sometimes our cars are along way from the campsite, so I have begun transporting everything authentically. Shields in first (mine, my sons, sometimes a spare). The groups archery targets are next. THen a big wicker basket containing ringmail, helmet/s, greaves, boots, belt and my tent pegs, string and hammer (i'll need those as soon as I get out of the car!). Next its another basket with pottery, then a third basket with rope and other odds and ends (ncluding my box of nick-nacks!). Then my fire-base, then a small sack of firewood/kindling, then a big sack of period clothing (various spares, my sons clothing, cloaks and others), then a goatskin tubular kit-bag (famous from Trajan's Column) full of authentic legionary kit for the public to see.

Then my wheatstraw hamper, this sits in my tent in full view, but contains everything modern I take to a show: food, drinks, crisps, torches, toothpaste, sandpaper, etc.). OK - I also take two sleeping bags these days and they go in too (hidden by wool blanket during the day. Finally!!! quiver, bow, spear, spiculum, tent poles, stakes for marking off the tent from the public, plumbatae quiver, 4 small javelins, and 4 tools. And that is it!!!!

Oh, I forgot my bedroll - several thick blankets plus deerskin and sheepskin plus the tent canvas that makes up my 4th century shelter. THat's alot of stuff for one infantryman and his slave (son!).
~ Paul Elliott

The Last Legionary
This book details the lives of Late Roman legionaries garrisoned in Britain in 400AD. It covers everything from battle to rations, camp duties to clothing.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Roman Military Equipment Storage kevair464 25 5,292 01-27-2010, 05:29 PM
Last Post: kevair464