Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"Squashing Deepeeka helmets!"
Salve you all with elongated heads :wink: ...

My problem with the Deepeeka helmets is that they usually are "One size, fits no-one". For example my Gallic helmet would have been fitting to me with the inside measurements of 16-17 cm from side to side. It was 20cm.

So I decided to to do something with it: I took the cheekpieces away and gently bent the hinges inwards. Then I squashed the helmet and it also reduced the inside measurements of the helmet. Unfortunately I noticed that the metal part quarding the face from downward slashes was cast iron and it snapped in two pieces (you can see the arrow pointing to it).

Anyway now it looks better to my eyes, what do you think? Would it be too hard for Deepeeka to make two sizes of the roman helmets; for elongated aliens and pumpkinheads. I`m afraid it would...
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]
I'd like to see your entire helmets collection, have more pics?
[Image: 120px-Septimani_seniores_shield_pattern.svg.png] [Image: Estalada.gif]
Ivan Perelló
[size=150:iu1l6t4o]Credo in Spatham, Corvus sum bellorum[/size]
Salve

If you want a cheap custom - made gallic helmet you have this blacksmith:

[url:1eqbh7l1]http://www.mardinus.c2000.pl/_en/oferta/helmy_wczesne_01.php?id=103[/url]

Salve
Titus Amatius Paulus
commilito legionis VIIII Hispaniae
et Septimanorum seniorum
Aka: Pablo Amado
I did the same thing with mine and improved it a LOT I think. Unfortunately, the browguard, being made of sintered iron can't be bent (as you found), so I'm just going to fabricate a new steel one.
See FABRICA ROMANORVM Recreations in the Marketplace for custom helmets, armour, swords and more!
Here you are, Faventianus!

My helmet collection is:

-Deepeeka Gallic H helmet
-Basic Norman helmet by vikingcrafts.co.uk
- Eastern viking/varangian/byzantine-style helmet by die- ritterschmiede.de
-Burgh Castle style helmet by Joe Piela (thelonelymountainforge)
-I have also Deepeeka brass corinthian helmet

My own experiences of the helmets:
-The Deepeeka corinthian and gallic helmets and their flaws you all know. I am quite pleased with the other helmets. The basic norman spangenhelm is treated with "instant antique" (vinegar & salt), hence the colour. It was also very cheap and the delivery/service were good. I have shown the Burgh castle helmet elsewhere in this forum and it is still a bit under work, anyway I think Joe Piela has made a great job and it was affordable. Then there it is this varangian/eastern viking helmet. It was made by die-ritterschmiede.de and I am very pleased with it. It has leather inner lining, mail aventail and the quality is good. Also the price is in my opinion very good, a bit under 200 euro`s in all. Has anyone else checked their site? I think it is a gem among other vendors. The helmet is of good quality, the prices are right and the delivery was fast!

So here is my helmet collection. I would like to have a good Montefortino helmet but the prices are a bit high. The more affordable Deepeeka seems to be a bucket, unfortunately....
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]
I squashed my Coolus from Deepeka. I removed the cheekplates, and the browguard, and this method worked well.
"...quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."

a.k.a. Paul M.
I've just sold my huge Intercissa (as per my avatar) to someone whose head is a little larger! Didn't think of trying to squash it, but it was so big that I think the amount of squashing needed would have very obviously distorted it. The bloomin' thing had a life all its own.

Now I've been able to get a smaller Deepeeka (one with eyes), which fits a treat, especially when I put my pill box hat under it. It also has an adjustable lining, and is much more comfortable all round. Ah, that's better :lol:

Blast, I'll have to change my avatar now ... :roll:
:lol:
Seeing the title of this thread I had impessions of a very heavily clad warrior sitting on one 'they don't call me heavy cavalry for nothing'.... :lol:
Oooh - Virilis, I absolutely love that one in the centre of the photograph and also have one of those on the right from my Regia days.....massive should I add...!
Personally, I have a fairly small but wide head and long face, a throwback to some ancestors...! I bought one 'Eastern' helm for 'Arthurian' quite a few years back, as it fitted, but it is not authentic enough for today's standards...(and I still can't get rid of the rust) and have a fellow re enactor/friend who has offered to make me a late Roman one.
I am going to see if the 'Eastern' one can be modified at all into a Sarmatian style...
I just measured that helm and it is around 17 at the widest between the cheek flaps....20 from back to front...(using a needlework tape measure) does that make me an alien or a pumpkinhead.... :roll: ?
regards
Arthes
Cristina
The Hoplite Association
[url:n2diviuq]http://www.hoplites.org[/url]
The enemy is less likely to get wind of an advance of cavalry, if the orders for march were passed from mouth to mouth rather than announced by voice of herald, or public notice. Xenophon
-
Burgh castle, Rus helmet and Norman-viking... beautifull ones indeed!
Thanks Virilis!
[Image: 120px-Septimani_seniores_shield_pattern.svg.png] [Image: Estalada.gif]
Ivan Perelló
[size=150:iu1l6t4o]Credo in Spatham, Corvus sum bellorum[/size]
first I would like to say that you have a nice collection of helmets Finlandicus. Second is anyone with a size 62 head have a hard time finding helmets? Has anyone any thoughts on the Italic D? size , authenticity? - octavianvs
Animals die, friends die, and I shall die, but one thing never dies, and that is the reputation we leave behind after our death.
No man loses Honour who had any in the first place. - Syrus
Octavianvs ( Johnn C. ) MODERATOR ROMAN ARMY TALK
Click for Rule for Posting [url:3135udah]http://romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=4100[/url]
Hey guys I would some more information on how you squashed your helmets. I got this thing of ebay with crest and shipping for a 140 bucks! Unfortunately nobody on planet earth that I'm aware has an 8 inch wide head. other then that all the other dimensions are fine height and length.

I know you guys probably use a huge vice (which I don't have one big enough) but I'd like to hear some details. I tried using these Irwin quick clamp vice and I think I managed to get a 1/4 to 1/2 gain in narrowing but still not enough.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Hi, honestly I wouldn't be too keen on trying to squash that helmet any more. I think you had ought to try some more padding on the inside first before making any more permanent decisions.

My two cents.

Regards, Sam.
Samuel J.
Quote:Hi, honestly I wouldn't be too keen on trying to squash that helmet any more. I think you had ought to try some more padding on the inside first before making any more permanent decisions.

My two cents.

Regards, Sam.

it seemed to actually take to it well enough I'd get it squeezed to about 6 1/2 inch width wise but trouble is cranked it enough to make it stay. I of coarse removed that brow band and if anymore more substantial narrowing is achieved it will have to grind it out. I'll also probably enlarge the brow band fastener holes to give more play.

I guess im just gonna have to get a large vice and squeeze it carefully and methodically.
I have purchased several Roman helmets, and all were "too big". My assumption is that this was to allow for padding. The best thing I have found is the padding for a Kevlar helmet. It provides padding, allows for air circulation, and permits adjustments.

Petrus Augustinus
(Pierre Kleff)
Petrus Augustinus

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Deepeeka Niederbieber helmets NBhelm23 0 152 08-03-2023, 05:27 PM
Last Post: NBhelm23
  Deepeeka helmets Cave Equum 9 2,730 02-27-2009, 08:01 AM
Last Post: Cave Equum
  Deepeeka helmets and drooping crests... Batavian 23 5,741 01-11-2006, 05:53 PM
Last Post: Matthew Amt