Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hello!
I just joined here. I am Andrew Beaton, 13, and I live in Quincy, MA. I collect ancient coins, mostly Roman. I have always loved military history, and I hope to have fun here! Currently I am collecting coins of Gallienus, Postumus, Victorinus, and Tetricus I and II, but if I see a nice one sometimes I just can't help myself, and buy it even though it doesn't fit my collecting focus.

Andrew

P.S. On ancient coin boards, my handle is "ancientcoins." Here is my online gallery: http://www.forumancientcoins.com/galler ... ?cat=11617
Andrew James Beaton
Looking for ancient coins of Gallienus, Postumus, Victorinus, Tetricus I and II, and the Severan Era!
Hi Andrew,

Welcome to RAT! I hope you don't mind I moved the message a bit, but Round Table is the place for new arrivals, not OT..
Glad to have even more ancient coin expertise here..
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Nice! What do you collect? I forgot to mention that I collect ancient artifacts as well Big Grin . The ones I have are in my gallery. I hope to acquire a Roman oil lamp, Roman dice as well as other artifacts soon!

Andrew
Andrew James Beaton
Looking for ancient coins of Gallienus, Postumus, Victorinus, Tetricus I and II, and the Severan Era!
Collect? Books... No, nothing ancient. The replica stuff only, and is enough for my meagre salary... Cry
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Glad to have a fellow Bay-Stater on board!
Dan Diffendale
Ph.D. candidate, University of Michigan
Quote:Collect? Books... No, nothing ancient. The replica stuff only, and is enough for my meagre salary... Cry

When asked what I collect I usually reply"dust"...

Okay, not funny... Smile
i collect 21th century European money (AKA euro's): if you have some, please send it to me!
gr,
Jeroen Pelgrom
Rules for Posting

I would rather have fire storms of atmospheres than this cruel descent from a thousand years of dreams.
Welcome Andrew!

Hope you enjoy your time here on RAT.

Best of luck in your collecting.

Andy De Cusati
Welcome Andrew!

I am also new here. Good to see another who is interested in ancient coinage.

I have learned a lot from the ancient coins, they never cease to amaze me.
[size=84:2ykzgt0v]Yes, Alas - I really am that pale...[/size]
SPVRIVS
[size=75:2ykzgt0v]aka Sean Foster[/size]
Quote:Collect? Books... No, nothing ancient. The replica stuff only, and is enough for my meagre salary... Cry
Anyone know where I can get a real ancient set of dice Flavia aka Carolina
Numerous auction sites, Flavia! I need to pick up a pair myself. Usually they are bone, sometimes I gave seen lead, and sometimes even bronze! I would check things like*edited by caiustarquitius*, Ebay if you can trust the dealer, etc.

Andrew
Andrew James Beaton
Flavia, why don't you stick to reconstructions? They are better for use, cheaper, and they don't earn the looters of archaeological sites any money...
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.
Quote:Collect? ...nothing ancient. The replica stuff only, and is enough for my meagre salary...
Believe it or not, the late Roman bronzes remain quite affordable. Actually, probably similar in price to replicas (which aren't cheap, either). I used to collect American coins but when I discovered I could own even more affordable ancient Roman coins, my collecting of American coinage ended.
Robert Stroud
The New Scriptorium
Quote:Good to see another who is interested in ancient coinage.
Ditto. I collect (limited by my budget, of course) Constantinian bronzes. I've really enjoyed it, since the prices are reasonable, and the history they represent is priceless!
Robert Stroud
The New Scriptorium
Quote:
Vortigern Studies:3sek2vci Wrote:Collect? ...nothing ancient. The replica stuff only, and is enough for my meagre salary...
Believe it or not, the late Roman bronzes remain quite affordable. Actually, probably similar in price to replicas (which aren't cheap, either). I used to collect American coins but when I discovered I could own even more affordable ancient Roman coins, my collecting of American coinage ended.

American coins are some of the most over-priced coins available. You get so much more for your money with the ancients.

My main interest is in Republican denarii but that is in a constant state of change (no pun intended).
[size=84:2ykzgt0v]Yes, Alas - I really am that pale...[/size]
SPVRIVS
[size=75:2ykzgt0v]aka Sean Foster[/size]