Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Female facemask from helmet
Stumbled across this, so I thought I'd post it (after I picked up my jaw off the desk, or am I being naive?):

Quote:Embossed inscriptions name two different owners of the helmet: on the outside of the right cheek as well as on the inside of the left: T(urma) PII PRISCI helmet of Priscus, who serves in the turma (cavalry unit) of Pius; beneath the chin: VITALIS T(urma) CRISPINI - helmet of Vitalis from the unit of Crispinus.

[Image: Gesichtshelm_NEU.jpg]

From the collection at the Kunsthistorisches Museum Vienna
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Well...I'm rather speechless if that helps, kind of a shock I guess, that's completely new to me and goes against everything I was ever schooled in. That's still really interesting though, was there a time range given with the face mask that might shed more light on the circumstances?
Gaius Tertius Severus "Terti" / Trey Starnes

"ESSE QUAM VIDERE"
hmm, it does look more female, especially the hairstyle, but I wouldnt say it really proves anything beyond a reasonable doubt, there were probably feminine looking men back then. :lol:
aka., John Shook
Salve!

I think this is the quite common "amazonian" impression used in the Hippika Gymnasia (roman army horse shows)....
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]
Yes she is one of some female mask helmet wich appear in Robinson's book in p. 125 fig. 363.. I knew I saw her some where does she is beautiful he? :wink: ...Yes Amazonian or classical female as the book dicribe her...
cheers..

Remarks by Philip on the Athenian Leaders:
Philip said that the Athenians were like the bust of Hermes: all mouth and dick. 
A great deal of the "Resca" type masked helmets portray female faces.

A couple from the museum in Straubing...

[Image: resca.jpg]

Regards,
Aaaahhh, thanks Peronis. For some reason I'd never made the connection that those faces and hairstyles were female.

Has anyone got any theory of why these cavalrymen would use female masks, not male? Are they depictions of a deity, perhaps?
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
The female masks are interpreted as representing the "amazons" against the greeks...
Virilis / Jyrki Halme
PHILODOX
[Image: fectio.png]
"The female masks are interpreted as representing the "amazons" against the greeks..."
I think it was the Amazons v the Trojans? Suetonius mentions the Troy games several times, as does Dio as an equestrian exercise for the sons of the nobility (some things don't change Smile ). Graham Webster traces this back to the Lusus Troiae in the early years of Rome which took place each year at the Spring festival on March 1st .

Cheers

Caballo
[Image: wip2_r1_c1-1-1.jpg] [Image: Comitatuslogo3.jpg]

aka Paul B, moderator
http://www.romanarmy.net/auxilia.htm
Moderation in all things
Right, now it makes sense, thanks guys. So it was a very traditional thing to see, when in an equestrian context.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hunerberg facemask-helmet -- restoration pics Simplex 0 739 08-12-2014, 11:29 AM
Last Post: Simplex
  full muscled lorica, helmet and facemask on italian TV Goffredo 1 1,032 10-20-2009, 12:16 PM
Last Post: jvrjenivs