Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Training for throwing javelin/pilum
Quote:no large run up and probably a different action and balance
How do we know that? Why can't the legionaries have been trained to throw both standing and running? They had the time to learn.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Hi Jim

It is only my opinion as I said so don't quote me - and that opinion is reached only from personal experience. So you may well be right - maybe they were trained to do so, I didn't say they weren't.

The modern Javelin is thrown with your arm extended way back with the point parallel to your face - the pilum has a nasty butt spike so Jupiter help those in the rank behind. Also at the point of release your whole sholder comes over and through along with your arm whipping through causing you to bend forward and drop your head - If I was to adopt the same technique with full kit on I am sure I would end up falling over me scutum, A over T, with me tunic round my ears :oops:

But hey like I said just my opinion - Rich did ask?!

Have a go yourself

Later

Mark.
Noli Nothis permittere te terere!!

Mark.
Quote:Is that with a run or standing still?

one step, no run. on a run I only get about 5 feet more, so it is almost not a factor.
aka., John Shook
Its easy to throw a javelin, but thats for me I find it easy. You have some great advice on this page already, but you have to remember : "practice, practice, practice". The more you practice it the more natural it will become, work out to get strength and practice some more. The key is to find the center of balance, it makes it a whole lot easier. If you need some more advice ill try to help, i a tad too tired now.

~~~Good Night
~~Gavin Nugent~~

Who told you to die! Keep fighting!

If anyone knows of anything in Long Island, New York please tell me.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A Republican pilum is born: pilum of Castellruf tiberius aemilius naso 7 3,334 10-10-2013, 05:20 PM
Last Post: Robert
  Practicing javelin throwing? Virilis 3 1,682 03-19-2013, 01:49 AM
Last Post: Robert