Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Project managing an event
Putting an event together can be a daunting task. Some of us have experience in this, many don't. Has anyone put together a project manual or plan that describes the steps to putting on an event? A list they make up of reminders, things that smooth out and make things happen better, stuff not to forget, etc.
I started up a domain Roman Days with the idea of publicizing events around the US with a handy, hopefully memorable URL. The folks who were sponsoring and doing all the work for RDNortheast moved out, and left the groups there leaderless. It would be good to help all groups out if we put together what we know about running events.

This would be a good addition to the 'how to' section, too.
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
Good idea Rich, that should be very useful for budding organisers!
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Ave richsc,

I'm not too sure how much help I can be but I'll plough on anyway.

Back in 1968 I won the National Wargames Championship in London with an Airfix Roman army. As a result of that success I formed my own Wargames club called the North London Wargames Group. I had a mate who had a directory of wargamers from all over the U.K. I pillaged his directory, with his consent, and created a list of those who lived in North London. I circulated them and got 42 to the first meeting over a pub called The Bald Faced Stag in East Finchley.

I ran the club for six months on my own. I then co-opted six members onto a commitee with me as president. We ran the club together for three years with monthly commitee meetings at my flat.

I single-mindedly drove that club in new directions, for example, an AGM is normally a closed affair for members only. I opened it up and invited other clubs to send members and put on demonstration games etc. We publicised it and got over 300 people to attend. We made £80 out of that event for the club funds. That was in 1969.

In 1970 we hired a hall in the Russell Hotel in central London with our £80 which I had to underwrite. We got national radio, TV and newspaper coverage for that event. We had over 1,100 people and took more that £300 at the door.

The key to our success was trade stands, I sold enough space to pay for the venue. People coming through the door were pure profit for the club. That was probably the very first of these events in the U.K. Now there are numerous events like this every year organised and financed by wargames clubs.

In 1972 I moved away and had to resign from the club. The club is still going and will celebrate it's 40th birthday in 2008. I will celebrate my 65th birthday during the same year.

Trade stands, Trade stands, Trade stands.

Vale

M. Spedius Corbulo
[Image: spedius-mcmxliii.gif]
~~~~~~Jim Poulton~~~~~~
North London Wargames Group
Hi , Dont know if this is relevant but apart from being an avid Roman
re-enactor Iam also 2 times former European and world Karate Champion . I Was awarded my own Style of Karate when my Japanese Instructor Died by his association and was awarded his middle name by his Family . A great Honour .

Some 5yrs ago I opened my first Karate school , it is now one of Five around the North of England . I hold lots of martial arts events ranging from club events to Association open championships .

The Key to a successful event in my case is to have a team of people who you can Deligate and rely on 100% , this spreads the work load and focus's your mind on the more important matters that only you can do .
It may be differant in the events I hold but If you have help and set guidelines then your onto a winner .

I hope this helps in some useless way .

Pegasus .
Paul / Verus
I'm now in for my second event, so I'm not the one to ask, probably...

What's the latest on Dan's US National Roman Legion, anyway?
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
We have put tgether Castra Romana for 3 years now, and I planned a CivWar event back in the day. We also plan and direct the Easter Drama at Church for the last 4 years, so I have put together a number of big events. Happy to share what I can. Mostly it takes...

WORK. WORK. Good Reliable friends to help. And of course, WORK.

Money helps too...

Did I mention it takes a lot of work?