Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
In situ mosaic photos
I have a favour to ask. Is there anyone who lives near any Roman mosaics that are still at their original site? I need to identify grinding marks on the surface of floor mosaics that have not been moved.
I've added a couple of images of the sort of thing I need.
If anyone can help that would be great, obviously I'll pay expenses for this.

The reason I need this is that I have some photos of the mosaics at the British Museum showing the grinding marks but I've been told that this is a result of the Victorians tidying things up. I'm not so sure as the Romans would of had to of finished off the floor by grinding anyway.
[attachment=5658]grindingmarks4.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=5659]grindingmarks1.jpg[/attachment]

Thanks

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Lawrence Payne

Asking me to tile your bathroom is like asking Vermeer to creosote your shed ;-)
[url:2kdj7ztq]http://www.romanmosaicworkshops.co.uk[/url]
www.romanmosaicworkshops.co.uk
www.romanmosaicpatterns.com
Hello, i do love solveing mysterys...lol i often wondered myself if it was wear or grinding myself ive spent a good deal of time upclose to view various tiles of period no two are alike despite the maker haveing to take apprentcies into account and final polishing and minute variations in the leveling of the floor ect despite homes various owners trought time may produce some scuffing it would be safe to say and grinding would have been done day it was made the tiles in black and white opus tessellatum in black and white form it was considred much cheaper to produce than tesserae do show grinding marks either by sand or pumice stone i doubt either form went unground anyone barefoot or in shoes will attest any modern laid tile laid unground is immediately noticed by loud protests and unavoidable injurys and famillial complaints and rebellions til said offending tile is dealt with..i will attach opion views and archological finds to support..please take no offense to my post its ok to say im daft and my opinion is rubbish!

Attached

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)