Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Events - question for the German members
Hi all,

I received a question from a military historian who recently moved to Heidelberg. Can anyone tell me which Roman events he is able to visit by train this season?
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Depends on whether he is willing to stay a night. Heidelberg-Frankfurt is an hour by train and from there you can get almost everywhere fast with the ICE.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
I think he knows that, but that's it local transport that he's concerned about - how easily is such an event to be reached by train seems to be more the problem. I mean, if you're at a train station and then have to travel by two buses for several hours is not what I call 'accessible'....
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
:lol: No, good point. Have you suggested he come on RAT and see if he can coordinate his visits with German members? Catching a ride is the best way to get somewhere!
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
The AFA (Augsburger Fruehjahrsausstellung) on the first two April weekends in Augsburg. The Augsburg Messe has an own train station, or he can use Strassenbahn from Augsburg Hauptbahnhof to University and walk the rest (300m). The Fruehjahrsausstellung has the topic "Romans". See here.
Christian K.

No reconstruendum => No reconstruction.

Ut desint vires, tamen est laudanda voluntas.
Quote::lol: No, good point. Have you suggested he come on RAT and see if he can coordinate his visits with German members? Catching a ride is the best way to get somewhere!
I did, today.. I told him the discussions are great, too...
Big Grin
Quote:The AFA (Augsburger Fruehjahrsausstellung) on the first two April weekends in Augsburg. The Augsburg Messe has an own train station, or he can use Strassenbahn from Augsburg Hauptbahnhof to University and walk the rest (300m). The Fruehjahrsausstellung has the topic "Romans". See here.
Thanks, I'll pass that on..
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
Limesmuseum Aalen, Sunday, March 12, from 1100h,

http://www.museen-aalen.de/sixcms/detai ... reich=1599

The museum is about 10-15 min walk from the city center / railway station.

We ( http://legio8augusta.de/ ) will be there, presenting armour and weapons from the 1st c. BC - 4th c. AD, roman medical instruments and knowledge (that would be me, no shoemaking then ;-) ) ) and a few other specific topics.

I'd be happy to see your friend there, Robert ...