Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Battle of Munda, Cordoba query
HI Everyone,

Wow! I hadn't realized I'd been away for so long. Had to re-sign-up. The new board looks great!

I've got (another) favor to ask of you history gurus.

I'm researching the Battle of Munda, and also what happened in Cordoba and neighboring towns afterward. I'm gradually piecing together a picture, with the odd sparse and dodgy internet article, and a handful of lines in the history books I have (the main one I want, "Enemies of Rome" is on order at the library, but they are stocktaking for two weeks) ...

I'm trying to get a picture of who-was-on-whose-side-and-why in terms of the local people - both Roman settlers and native Cordobans.

I'm getting rather desperate. I was thinking of going to the secondhand bookshop to hunt down Colleen McCullough's novel about Caesar (at least her research is usually good) and very optimistically try to find Stephen Dando Collins' 'Caesar's Legion' which I gather is about the 10th, and they were key at Munda.

I've also read a very brief reference to Octavian leading a Cavalry attack in the battle, but only one unreliable source - another source mentions an Allied cavalry leader with no reference to Octavian.

I'd be keen to hear anything even remotely relevant, and if anyone knows a good general Roman Military History reference source that I'm not finding on Google, please let me know. (loads of rubbish pseudo-sites with 'supplemental results' keep coming up. Grrr)

Thanks heaps!

Pictoria
Helen South
Quote:very optimistically try to find Stephen Dando Collins' 'Caesar's Legion' which I gather is about the 10th, and they were key at Munda.
It can be bought and downloaded as an e-book from places such as here:
[url:19ocjtci]http://eu.wiley.com/WileyCDA/WileyTitle/productCd-0471269336,descCd-ebook.html[/url]
and here:
[url:19ocjtci]http://www.ebookmall.com/ebook/103513-ebook.htm[/url]

All you need usually is a latest version of Adobe Acrobat Reader, and be willing to spend a small amount of time watching the book be verified as legitimate by Reader.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Ah! Wonderful. Thanks for that. I haven't quite gotten into ebooks much yet, as I spend so much time on a computer for work.

I'll try and get a paper copy tomorrow (you never know your luck. I found a history of swordfighting on a sales table last week) - but if I can't get one, that will be perfect. I kind of need it yesterday!

thanks

Pictoria

Helen South
On the other hand, reviews of Dando-Collins' research have been unfavorable to say the least.
Have you tried the primary sources for the battle that are usually available online?
Ps. Caesar, The Spanish War, 27ff.
Appian, Civil Wars II.103ff
Plutarch, Caesar 56
Cassius Dio, XLIII.35ff.

Snippets:
Velleius Paterculus, II.55
Suetonius, Divus Julius 35
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Jasper, you're an absolute legend. That's just what I needed. I have the Civil wars, I don't know why I didn't think of looking for the Spanish wars... guess I was focussed on the whole Pompey thing.....

terrific site, too. This will really help a lot.

thanks so much!

Pictoria
Helen South
Discovered it helps a lot if you spell it CORDUBA with the -u- .... as the Romans did.... heavens above! (that crash was me bashing my head against a brick wall....)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Sarcophagus fragment from Cordoba- picture? Caballo 1 1,288 12-29-2010, 10:16 PM
Last Post: Graham Sumner
  The thanksgiving days granted to Caesar after Munda ParthianBow 2 1,067 09-22-2009, 03:57 PM
Last Post: ParthianBow