Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pre-Persian Panoply Pursuit
Quote:Looks like black could be the new...er...black....

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: boom boom
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Back in October I had occasion to outfit a couple of high school drama club guys for a film shoot, which I shall go into at a later date, and is irrelevant here.

Two of the kids were outfitted with black tunics as auxillia, c.50ad. I used black because of an allusion to some northern Spanish tribesmen wearing this color, hence a possibility of that color being worn by auxillia recruited from these tribes. Shields were also black with white crescent moons reference T's C. devices. The unit, all two of them, I recreated was referred to a the II Cohors Asturas. Since there is less evidence for auxillia tunic colors than for the legions, I thought why not black? Its a fantasy movie anyway.

I got the tunics from La Wren made to my spec, the tea bag shape. They sent me lambs wool which was not only comfortable but the tunics looked good, especially with mail and bronze helmets. It may be a bit Hollywood for some of us, but the visual effect was good. I intend to use one with my Thespian impression.

"Can't go wrong with basic black..." Somebody important said that, I just don't know who.

I also bought the sheet iron to do a Phillip II(?) Vergina cuirass. Since the photos show the iron part as backish rusty, I am tempted to paint that part black also. But I also note the Alexander mosaic cuirass as white. I lean towards thinking that if the mosaic is accurate, Alexander may be wearing a painted iron crass. Which would make some sense in terms of rust protection. He and his dad certainly had the bucks to wear whatever they wanted

Ralph Izard
(must think up Greek name...)
drama club guys, eh? I bet they could do really great Thespian impressions... :wink:

I think that a lot more ancient equipment was painted than we see on modern reenactors. I know of several helmets with traces of paint remaining, and Attic pottery certainly shows painted helmets.
Dan Diffendale
Ph.D. candidate, University of Michigan
Ralf please check the thread in Reconstruction forum about the Pompei mosaic. The cuirass was linen.
Even guys with lesser funds than royalty could have an elaborate extrenal layer on their armor.
Black was also the color of preference of guerillas so why not light troops or some against mainstream average guy?
Kind regards
Stefanos,

Can't find the thread although I used the RAT seach whatzit several tries. When you get old you lose touch and only remember how to use with last month's technology.

Danno,

The HS guys from the club were great to work with. The producer, who was an independant, did something unusual for the Hollywood crowd. She actually listend to the what-nots about original equipment design and purpose, even though it was a Fantasy Flick. Some of the equipment was kinda smacked togeter in a hurrry, and some cheesey stuff, like belts were used because there was no time to get anything else.

Ralph Izard
future film star and Hollywood big name with a swank car and cool sunglasses.
Quote:Stefanos,

Ralph Izard

Remember us when you're casting "Gates of Fire"! :lol:
Quote:
Gaius Decius Aquilius:2jxnitag Wrote:Stefanos,

Ralph Izard

Yeap! Mad Phokian charge in a hail of arrows!!! :twisted: :twisted:
Kind regards
Stefanos
Quote:
paulaallen:2qtmse1x Wrote:
Gaius Decius Aquilius:2qtmse1x Wrote:Stefanos,

Ralph Izard

Yeap! Mad Phokian charge in a hail of arrows!!! :twisted: :twisted:
Kind regards
Stefanos

Not to worry guys, Gaius the Mogul will make sure you will all be in my entourage and will play opposite some heavy names like Charlize Theron, Scarlett Johanson, and Angelina Jolie.

I will have to make it clear to my agents, publicists, and attorneys that I won't discuss or even do lunch over any Greco-Roman re-make of Brokeback Mountain, however.

Big Ralph
[quoteNot to worry guys, Gaius the Mogul will make sure you will all be in my entourage and will play opposite some heavy names like Charlize Theron, Scarlett Johanson, and Angelina Jolie.

I will have to make it clear to my agents, publicists, and attorneys that I won't discuss or even do lunch over any Greco-Roman re-make of Brokeback Mountain, however.

Big Ralph[/quote]

What a frightfully decent chap you are! "Brokeback Mountain" for all the fuss made about it, was described by one reviewer here as "uneventful". Couldn't see what all the fuss was about.
Beotian shield is definitly OK for Persian wars.
Pottery of the time in Louvre shows a beotian shield covered with scales(!!!)
and pottery in the Britsh Meuseum shows hoplites attacking archers curring Argolic(round) and Beotian(scaloped) shields.
Sorry I do not have a scanner.
Kind regards