Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
IX Hispania Disappearance Myth
Eagle of the Ninth by Rosemary Sutcliffe is a great story that takes the disappearance of the legion as its background. I didn't see it mentioned, though I assume that many are familiar with it. If you're not, find a copy, you'll love it.
[Image: artorivs-mcmlx.gif]
[size=75:y4iezjz4]David Sullivan
Lynnwood, WA USA[/size]
Quote:Eagle of the Ninth by Rosemary Sutcliffe is a great story that takes the disappearance of the legion as its background. I didn't see it mentioned, though I assume that many are familiar with it. If you're not, find a copy, you'll love it.
No kidding! Big Grin It was the first historical novel I read as a child - it sparked my interest in Roman Britain in no small manner! (In fact I was able to buy that very copy from the library). Following Sutcliff's novels, I ended up in Arthurian Britain..
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Quote:Eagle of the Ninth by Rosemary Sutcliffe is a great story that takes the disappearance of the legion as its background. I didn't see it mentioned, though I assume that many are familiar with it. If you're not, find a copy, you'll love it.

Ave Artorius1960,

Welcome to the Forum, I will look forward to many similar posts by you.

I too have "The Eagle of the Ninth" my copy was published by Puffin in 1977, with an ISBN of 0-14-03.0890-3.

The back cover reads "When a man's father has disappeared together with an entire legion, and is accused of cowardice, it is natural that his son should want to reclaim his honour. So Marcus embarks on the perilous journey north of Hadrian's Wall, hoping not only to solve the mystery but to rediscover the famous Eagle, symbol of the Legion's honour."

I remember that, although I've not opened the book in many years, it was an interesting, thought provoking, read.

Vale

M. Spedius Corbulo
[Image: spedius-mcmxliii.gif]
~~~~~~Jim Poulton~~~~~~
North London Wargames Group
Yes! That was the first historical novel I ever read, I remember checking it out of the library... and I spent many years fascinated by Roman Britain, before I realized all the great stuff a bit further south... :wink:
And I suppose these aren't so far off topic, as the topic is a myth and this book an excellent treatment of said myth.
Dan Diffendale
Ph.D. candidate, University of Michigan

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Another primary consideration in introduction & eventual disappearance of Segmentata? CNV2855 64 17,515 12-03-2015, 02:59 AM
Last Post: Flavivs Aetivs
  Disappearance of the military triumph constantius 9 3,738 11-29-2015, 02:45 PM
Last Post: Flavivs Aetivs
  Disappearance of velites Gladius Hispaniensis 12 4,568 06-20-2007, 10:31 PM
Last Post: Coriolanus