Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
late roman equipment
Hi Sampsa,
Without trying to be ellusive (which I should rather be in view that the deadline for two reviews I promised long ago and a re-enactment festival are nearing... Sad ) I would say you that this thread is nearly an excellent primer on 'My first late tunic'! 8)
About your pattern, the decoration looks to my mind as not earlier than late third century, and I would even dare to say the those clavi finials should be even later...
The cuff bands never span the whole width. Remember that part of the material there was simply tucked inside when the rectangular sleeves were sewn in a tapering form to create those narrow cuffs.

Aitor
It\'s all an accident, an accident of hands. Mine, others, all without mind, from one extreme to another, but neither works nor will ever.

Rolf Steiner
Quote:About your pattern, the decoration looks to my mind as not earlier than late third century, and I would even dare to say the those clavi finials should be even later...
The cuff bands never span the whole width. Remember that part of the material there was simply tucked inside when the rectangular sleeves were sewn in a tapering form to create those narrow cuffs.

Thanks for your quick reply! Late 3rd / early 4th was exactly in my mind, good to hear that. I'll correct the cuff bands and maybe simplify those finials...
Here's my first try:

[Image: roma%20tunika%202.jpg]
What were the 4th century tunics made out of? Linen or wool?
Eric

Brush-Popper extraordinaire
Both, separately or combined.
[Image: 120px-Septimani_seniores_shield_pattern.svg.png] [Image: Estalada.gif]
Ivan Perelló
[size=150:iu1l6t4o]Credo in Spatham, Corvus sum bellorum[/size]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The arms, equipment and impact of Late Roman Clibanarii ValentinianVictrix 81 23,349 03-12-2013, 01:47 AM
Last Post: Alanus