Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Flat or dished?
We all know about the higher efficiency of a curved or dished shield in front a flat one (at least for individual combat), just a physical-aerodynamical question but what about a large number of soldiers making a shield wall, fulcum or testudo? Aren't they easier to make with flat shields? I mean easier, not the only way... Just an idea.
[Image: 120px-Septimani_seniores_shield_pattern.svg.png] [Image: Estalada.gif]
Ivan Perelló
[size=150:iu1l6t4o]Credo in Spatham, Corvus sum bellorum[/size]
Well, yes, that's what Wheeler is saying.. He reckons the square curved 'legionary' scuta were already being replaced with the flat oval ones starting from the late 2nd century.. For a shield wall/anti-cavalry formation, the flat shield is surely more stable than a dished one when you have overlapping rims which you much support with your shoulder.
But for individual combat, like you say, a dished one seems much better suited. And we know they existed…
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
BTW, Are you gonna put some report of your new dished shield making process in your web page? Big Grin
Ivan Perelló
Quote:BTW, Are you gonna put some report of your new dished shield making process in your web page? Big Grin
Well, since I did not make it, I'm unable to... Cry
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
Flat shields work differently from highly curved ones, but being different is not necessarily inferior. This has been discussed in two issues of SPADA (published by Chivalry Booksheld) by Stephen Hand. A deeply curved shield works beautifully in defense when held straight ahead, with the body of the bearer tucked into the curve (called Middle Ward by Hand). It has a problem in offense, though - the outstretched sword/spear arm is highly vulnerable. Flat shields can easily be extended to guard the weapons-arm. Also, flat shields can be used in offensive maneuvers, striking with the center (like a curved shield) but also with the edge (which reaches farther); and can be used to hook a defender's shield as well.
Felix Wang
Very, very interesting Felix!! Thank you!!
I have a flat one, though I'm glad to see that flat ones have some advantage at last!

Vorty, who made yours? The same maker than the Herculiani?
Ivan Perelló
Quote:Vorty, who made yours? The same maker than the Herculiani?
Yes. Monsieur Bouillon... Big Grin
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
Godefroi de Bouillon, king of Jerusalem :?: :!:
Ivan Perelló

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ROMAN DISHED SHIELDS jho 8 2,274 03-17-2010, 09:02 AM
Last Post: Medicus matt
  late Roman Dished Shields Conal 29 5,876 08-01-2006, 11:17 PM
Last Post: Theodosius the Great