Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Some Greek helmets in Copenhagen
So, on my trip to ancient art collections in Copenhagen some years ago we were visiting e.g. Nationalmuseum, from which this image below is from.

[Image: f29cb329.jpg]

Aren't they beautiful? Smile
[size=75:wtt9v943]Susanne Arvidsson

I have not spent months gathering Hoplites from the four corners of the earth just to let
some Swedish pancake in a purloined panoply lop their lower limbs off!
- Paul Allen, Thespian
[/size]

[Image: partofE448.jpg]
Awesome Suzanne! Once I become a millonaire :lol: I want to tour all the greatest museums of the world, do what I could to help them preserve there work and add to there collections...and take about a millons pics and ask 3 millon questions! A pipe dream for sure! Big Grin
Greetings,
that is amazing and yes, beautiful.... Big Grin
I like the Phygian helm....!
regards
Arthes/Cristina
Cristina
The Hoplite Association
[url:n2diviuq]http://www.hoplites.org[/url]
The enemy is less likely to get wind of an advance of cavalry, if the orders for march were passed from mouth to mouth rather than announced by voice of herald, or public notice. Xenophon
-
Sussanne that is: Be-a-u-ti-fuuuuuuuuulll! 8)

Just my brother in law was invited me to Rome next year to his two wealthy sisters houses!....I think they have stuff like that in Rome right?

Any went?...I would love to find stuff like that & take pictures....

Who knows if I can go to Stefanus house by boat! :lol:

Oh! Danno is in Italy right?

Remarks by Philip on the Athenian Leaders:
Philip said that the Athenians were like the bust of Hermes: all mouth and dick. 
Quote:Oh! Danno is in Italy right?

unfortunately, no, I came home in December... Cry
But there are certainly many helmets to be seen in Rome's museums. In fact, I'm working on a Top Secret Project that will make it easy to see them all! I'll let you all know when the time is right... 8)
Dan Diffendale
Ph.D. candidate, University of Michigan
Quote:
Gioi:3ons9u95 Wrote:Oh! Danno is in Italy right?

unfortunately, no, I came home in December... Cry
But there are certainly many helmets to be seen in Rome's museums. In fact, I'm working on a Top Secret Project that will make it easy to see them all! I'll let you all know when the time is right... 8)

Sad to heard that!, we would have fun! Sad ...

But interested your top secret stuff,I can't wait ! :twisted:

Oh! BTW: this is how you would recognized me at the Port in the boat! :twisted:

[Image: img265.jpg]

Remarks by Philip on the Athenian Leaders:
Philip said that the Athenians were like the bust of Hermes: all mouth and dick. 
Danno wrote: "But there are certainly many helmets to be seen in Rome's museums"

May be able to wangle a trip to Rome soon (which I haven't visited for about 25 years)....which museums do you recommend for helmets and other Roman army stuff?

Cheers

PB
[Image: wip2_r1_c1-1-1.jpg] [Image: Comitatuslogo3.jpg]

aka Paul B, moderator
http://www.romanarmy.net/auxilia.htm
Moderation in all things
Thanks Suzanne.
Now I know the reference for the Hellenistic helmets.
The Armor piece also looks interesting.
Kind regards
@Paul: there's not a lot of Roman army material in Rome per se. The biggest collection (mostly copies) would be in the Museum of Roman Civilization, but they have been restoring their collection (read: pay full price, but 75% of the museum is closed) for a long time.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
I thought a lot of those exhibits looked Italian, especially the false (Italo-)Corinthian and the body armour. The Early Corinthian looks like a find from Southern Italy, too, although that's supposed to be in the BM - perhaps it was on loan to Copenhagen. The Italian museums I've heard of as possessing Greek and Roman finds are the Villa Giuliana, Castel St. Angelo in Rome, Naples Archaeological Museum and the Museo Gregoriano in the Vatican. Oh, and there's one in Florence, too.
Haven't been to the Villia Giuliana & Castel for a long time. You might be right there. The Naples museum suffered from the same problem as the Roman Civ one when I was there in 2004: departments closed for restoration.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Quote:Haven't been to the Villia Giuliana & Castel for a long time. You might be right there. The Naples museum suffered from the same problem as the Roman Civ one when I was there in 2004: departments closed for restoration.

As is Room 49 at the British Museum until January 2007. None of the collection is even available for study.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Well, one room closed with a set date for reopening is fair enough. I get less understanding when it's a large part of the museum for an indefinite period. Though, if you look at the bigger picture, Italy needs to catch up with soooo much overdue maintenance, it's not even funny.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Any comments on the Phrygian helmet? Given its intact being, it could be a replica... the information tag about it said nothing but 'Phrygian helmet'.

Quote:Who knows if I can go to Stefanus house by boat!

An inexpensive way to do this; fake a death, then when the ship has set off, drug the Ferryman and try to hypnotize him. If you are successful, you should be able to ask him gently to sail all the way to Italy.

If not: Run for your life.

Quote:but they have been restoring their collection (read: pay full price, but 75% of the museum is closed) for a long time.

They have been restoring the NY Carlsberg Glyptotek for a while now, too. What a shame. The second time I went there I wanted to meet my favorite orator Demostenes again... :?
[size=75:wtt9v943]Susanne Arvidsson

I have not spent months gathering Hoplites from the four corners of the earth just to let
some Swedish pancake in a purloined panoply lop their lower limbs off!
- Paul Allen, Thespian
[/size]

[Image: partofE448.jpg]
Susanne\\n[quote]
An inexpensive way to do this; fake a death, then when the ship has set off, drug the Ferryman and try to hypnotize him. If you are successful, you should be able to ask him gently to sail all the way to Italy.

If not: Run for your life.

quote]

Can I have some of what you're drinking? Confusedhock:

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Greek Helmets With Scales Iphitos 47 8,978 05-10-2014, 05:20 AM
Last Post: Feinman
  Greek Helmets. with or without crests.... ?? MARCvSVIBIvSMAvRINvS 44 16,212 03-13-2012, 04:54 PM
Last Post: The Dioskouri
  Greek helmets galore The Oracle 176 47,234 04-11-2010, 02:20 PM
Last Post: Gaius Julius Caesar