Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Psiloi
I hope people are taking note of how easy it would be to portray a psilos or peltast - at the First International Ancient Greek Festival, for example... :roll:
Quote:Thanks..!

Has this book been published..? If so, how can I buy it..?

Johnny

It is in Greek. The company went out of bussines but copies do exist.
If you want more info on Nikos artwork I can give you his email.
Kind regards
Here's an image (source unknown) featuring two ekdromoi and some (vexatious) peltasts PLUS a phalanx in the background. Click on the image to see it in its original size.

[Image: ekdromoipeltasts8zi.th.jpg]
[size=75:wtt9v943]Susanne Arvidsson

I have not spent months gathering Hoplites from the four corners of the earth just to let
some Swedish pancake in a purloined panoply lop their lower limbs off!
- Paul Allen, Thespian
[/size]

[Image: partofE448.jpg]
The shoeless hoplites in the snow are a dead giveaway as to the source: Osprey - Elite series if I recall correctly it’s either ‘The Greeks’ or the ‘Ancient Greeks'.
Paul Klos

\'One day when I fly with my hands -
up down the sky,
like a bird\'
Stefanos,
With his permission, I would like his email. Maybe he would like to see some of my artwork.
Thanks,
Johnny
Johnny Shumate
Susanne check the "barefoot at the snow" posts.
Conon394 is right. I want to add that the Tharcian shield is the fox totem of the Odryssians. The ekdromoi have the white shiled of the Pelopidae warrios fraternity. One shose as his emblem the all seeing eye of Zeus (PANTEPOTES) and the other the first rays of the rising sun.
Nik Segunda speculates that the felt chiton is a spollas.
Johnny please check you PM.
Gioi the archer with pilos is interesting. Any info on the source?
He seems to have some kind of armor.
Kind regards
Stefanos,
I got the message and sent you one in return.
Thanks,
Johnny
Johnny Shumate
Thanks Stefanos. My bad, not searching for that thread earlier... Smile
I had a good time reading it, some interesting remarks were made!
[size=75:wtt9v943]Susanne Arvidsson

I have not spent months gathering Hoplites from the four corners of the earth just to let
some Swedish pancake in a purloined panoply lop their lower limbs off!
- Paul Allen, Thespian
[/size]

[Image: partofE448.jpg]
Comerus,
Great pics!
How popular were solid color tunics..?
The Spartans wore solid red..?
I would think an off white would be the most typical...
Johnny
Johnny Shumate
White was depicted as a common tunic/himation colour becaue the surviving statuary was white. Archaeologists have since pointed out that the small paint remains found on the statuary suggest much more colourful clothing. Some pictures have been posted elsewhere on the site of colour reconstructions. I have blue, yellow, black and red chitonoi, as well as one white, which I tend to use as underwear, when necessary.

(Yes, Susanne, this DOES mean you have worn my underwear!)
Quote: (Yes, Susanne, this DOES mean you have worn my underwear!)
Confusedhock: :lol: :lol:
Cristina
The Hoplite Association
[url:n2diviuq]http://www.hoplites.org[/url]
The enemy is less likely to get wind of an advance of cavalry, if the orders for march were passed from mouth to mouth rather than announced by voice of herald, or public notice. Xenophon
-
Quote:Comerus,
Great pics!
How popular were solid color tunics..?
The Spartans wore solid red..?
I would think an off white would be the most typical...
Johnny

Gray, off-white or black would be the colour of the Psiloi archers and slingers. The "bluish" chiton of the image could only be bought or looted by a mercenary slinger. The wolf skin could be common for many slingers were sheperds defending their livestock from wolves.
Middle class (hoplites) could afford coloured cloth.
There are many refernces of Spartans wearing red-possibly even the external layer of their linothorax. They could ceretainly force the helots to produce it for them.

Nice image Cristina. Nikos can use it as a reconstruction base for the central Greek mountain women fighting Gauls or Ilyrians.
Kind regards
Quote:Nice image Cristina. Nikos can use it as a reconstruction base for the central Greek mountain women fighting Gauls or Ilyrians.
Kind regards
Thank you....but I think you mean the one that Gioi posted..... :wink:
Cristina
The Hoplite Association
[url:n2diviuq]http://www.hoplites.org[/url]
The enemy is less likely to get wind of an advance of cavalry, if the orders for march were passed from mouth to mouth rather than announced by voice of herald, or public notice. Xenophon
-
Woops sorry Comerus!
Quote:Woops sorry Comerus!

Yes I did noticed!, is ok :mrgreen: :lol:

Remarks by Philip on the Athenian Leaders:
Philip said that the Athenians were like the bust of Hermes: all mouth and dick. 

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  About light troops psiloi & peltasts hoplite14gr 0 1,330 07-27-2014, 06:29 PM
Last Post: hoplite14gr