Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Psiloi
Anyone have pics of Greek shepherds? Mainly the fighters armed with the animal skin cloak and a rock/javelin. Even better, with a sling...
Thanks,
JOhnny
Johnny Shumate
Are you talking about the Osprey book, "The Ancient Greeks"? Yes, I have it... This is one of Osprey's better titles..!
Johnny
Johnny Shumate
Quote:Are you talking about the Osprey book, "The Ancient Greeks"? Yes, I have it... This is one of Osprey's better titles..!
Johnny

The original potery fro this reconstruction exist in a photo in Osprey's "Greek Hoplite" I think. This would repesent an Archaic Era psilos or the initial Laconic helot.
There were ares in Central Greece like Phokis and Lokris where a portion of the field army would be "Psiloi" due the more restricted finances.
These men would carry rounded pelta unlike the cresent shaped Thrakian pelta and javelins an possibly a dagger.
Only Opundian Locrians possibly had white "thracic" pelta with a brown snake as their emblem,
Aditional weapons would be small axes doubling as weapons and tools.
A reconstructed iron axe of these type exists in the www.4hoplites.com website.
Rhodians were the most famous slingers but possibly Spartan helots used them too (Arimnistos killed Mardonios in Platea with as ling)
Slingers would carry a wicker or leather shield.
Cretan archers sometimes would fight in open order as psiloi with lesser armor than usual.
Various types of straw hats and cups would be available to them.
Athenians were unique that they would employ Skythian slaves as policemen or support troops making use of their archery skills.

If they got engeged in a fight near the camp ,malets or butchers cleavers would be employed in absence of better weapons.
Hope I helped
Kind regards
Stafanos,
What reference do you have on Greek slingers using pelta..? I've been looking for some reference(vases, coins, etc...) but can't find anything. I do have an image of a shepherd with his animal pelt over his arm, but that is all...

(Arimnistos killed Mardonios in Platea with as ling)
Where can I read about this? The Histories..?

Thanks for the great information..!

Johnny
Johnny Shumate
Herodotus if memory serves me right is the source on Arimnistos.
Slingers with shields are mentioned by Polyeanos.

Food for thought: In Greek PSILO with "I" refers to something thin.
PSILOKOMENOS = thinly cut (or in thin slices)
PSILOI might be the thinly spread troops (skirmisers) as opposed to tightly packed hoplites.

Kind regards
Stefanos,
It's great to have a real Greek on this website, you have a knowledge of the language and geography that alot of us don't have..! I'll look into these sources...
Thanks,
Johnny
Johnny Shumate
Comerus,
Are these plates from Warry's book..? I have it. Other than that, anything else would be helpful..!!!!
Thanks,
JOhnny
Johnny Shumate
Ancient Greek ψιλός (psi_lo/s - psilos) is an adjective meaning "bare" or "naked," or "bare (of something)." Psiloi are troops "bare (of armor)" or "unarmored," rather than "thinly spread troops." We must always be careful to differentiate ancient Greek from modern Greek.
Dan Diffendale
Ph.D. candidate, University of Michigan
Comerus,
GREAT ILLUSTRATIONS!
I like the one on the bottom the best. Who is the artist..? Do you have more of his work.

The top illustration warrior in white, is that a sling in his belt on the right hip..?

Thanks again for your efforts!
Johnny
Johnny Shumate
thanks! I finally got tired of the Samnite beer. I probably won't get the helmet for a while now; I'm trying to get the rest of my kit together, and I can't justify having three helmets without anything else... :roll:
Dan Diffendale
Ph.D. candidate, University of Michigan
Quote:thanks! I finally got tired of the Samnite beer. I probably won't get the helmet for a while now; I'm trying to get the rest of my kit together, and I can't justify having three helmets without anything else... :roll:

Friend dont rush!... I have the same situation with my Philip II kit, possible I would not be able to have it ready for this summer to use it at Watford! Sad ...That is why I'm in the process in constructin a Linothorax & have another helmet...

As you see in my avatar, there is my Philip II helmet, it needs the crest at top!

Remarks by Philip on the Athenian Leaders:
Philip said that the Athenians were like the bust of Hermes: all mouth and dick. 
The horseman with the thracian boots is from my friend Nikos Panos
for the book Xenophon: The return of the 10000.
So is the the peltast with the helmet. We did not have the snake info at that time so we left the shield blank.
Opoundian Lokrians, Perrevoi, Aeninanes would be similarly equiped.
I respect Dan's opinion but we may not necessarily narrow it doen to only one dictionary. I will try to find some references.
Kind regards
Stefanos,
Has your friend(Nikos) illustrated a Cretan archer and a Rhodian slinger..? If so, can you give us a preview..!!
Thanks,
JOhnny
Johnny Shumate
Quote:Stefanos,
Has your friend(Nikos) illustrated a Cretan archer and a Rhodian slinger..? If so, can you give us a preview..!!
Thanks,
JOhnny

Cretan archer as psilos yes. I will ask him for a digital image.
Rhodian slinger not yet. They didn't want to pay for the extra figure in the magazine.
I suspect Gioi has the book and a scanner and he can do it quicker.

Kind regards
Thanks..!

Has this book been published..? If so, how can I buy it..?

Johnny
Johnny Shumate

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  About light troops psiloi & peltasts hoplite14gr 0 1,315 07-27-2014, 06:29 PM
Last Post: hoplite14gr