Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Untill when was the pugio used?
Hello friends,
I was wondering, I just received that 3rd century pugio from Deepeeka.
Nice piece btw.
But is there any evidence until when this pugio was worn? Gravestones, writings,...?
Was it used in the 4th century also or did it dissapear in the 3rd century?
Thanks,
Nico
Nico Creces
Flandres
Southern, Dixon and Stephenson appear to agree that the classic form was disused after the 3rd C, possibly replaced by the semispatha mentioned by Vegetius and which may have looked more like a small sword and by a range of single edged daggers. (The Late Roman Army, Southern & Dixon 1996, Roman Cavalry Equipment, Stephenson & Dixon 2003)

Hope that helps.
Smile
Salvianus: Ste Kenwright

A member of Comitatus Late Roman Historical Re-enactment Group

My Re-enactment Journal

~ antiquum obtinens ~
So, if I get it right, I was still in use at the end of the 3rd century.
Is there any proof that it still could be in use in the early 4th century?
Thanks,
grtz,
Nico
Nico Creces
Flandres
I don't know of any off hand, but you may take the view that an absence in the finds does not necessarily indicate non-existance. Even if one form went severely out of 'fashion' I suspect that would just fuel a thriving second hand market until the things just fell to pieces.

Personally, I believe there must be a reasonable margin for error in any evidential record - & even for individual pieces: I always think of the 'Coppergate' helm which appears to have been around for many years before it's last outing.

Cheers Smile
Salvianus: Ste Kenwright

A member of Comitatus Late Roman Historical Re-enactment Group

My Re-enactment Journal

~ antiquum obtinens ~
To clarify, in my opinion: While it was probably not impossible in the 4th century to find one (I have a 150 year old chair in the living room) - they are hard to justify in an everyday context.

Andrew