Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Early Republican Military Training Question
I'm currently busy with some other projects and I don't have the time to research this particular topic. I was hoping that someone a bit more knowledgeable on the subject could help me. During the early Republic, how was military training conducted? Were new recruits just given boot camp and no further training throughout their obligatory time as a soldier except for the experience gained intermittently on the battlefield?

I'm curious because I know much about the post-Marian period but nothing about how their forerunners received their training.
Michael Paglia
Interesting question. Militia systems throughout history have almost always included some kind of regular training requirement, as in "must assemble and train for X days per year", "must assemble every midsummer", etc.

I would be very surprised if the Roman militia legions were different, but I'm afriad I don't know what the sources say.
Regards, Nicholas.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Early republican castrum architecture/layout Tom Jefferson 0 26 10-09-2023, 03:35 PM
Last Post: Tom Jefferson
Information A Sixth or Early Seventh Century Ad Iconography of Roman Military Equipment in Egypt Condottiero Magno 0 1,033 03-27-2019, 03:54 AM
Last Post: Condottiero Magno
  Database of Military Inscriptions and Papyri of Early Roman Palestine ChrisZeichmann 2 857 02-23-2018, 04:10 PM
Last Post: ChrisZeichmann