Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roman Wars??
Im writting a paper on the Fall of the Roman Empire, for school. I'm trying to get an accurate number of wars that the Romans haven taken place in, but cant seem to find a number anywhere. Does anyone have even an educated guess?<br>
I’d appreciate your help!<br>
<br>
<br>
Shannon <p></p><i></i>
Salve,<br>
<br>
(although this posting belongs to the history-section).<br>
<br>
To give an accurate number is almost impossible.<br>
Which period are you talking about?<br>
Remember that larger campaign were mostly mentioned, any local conflict not always. An emipre as large as the Romans would have seen almost constant conflict (although mostly small and local).<br>
<br>
gr, jeroen<br>
<br>
<br>
<p>Volo anaticulam cumminosam meam!</p><i></i>
gr,
Jeroen Pelgrom
Rules for Posting

I would rather have fire storms of atmospheres than this cruel descent from a thousand years of dreams.
It would be fair to say that a "brushfire" war/ raids by Barbarians etc were pretty constant throughout Roman history.
As an idea on how the Romans themselves viewed the subject, they had a custom that when Rome was at peace, the doors on the temple of Janus were closed.
The emperor Augustus in his "Res Gestae" boasts that previously, in recorded history, the doors had only been closed twice, whilst in his reign ( a long one to be sure), they had been closed three times........

Paullus Scipio/Paul McDonnell-Staff
"dulce et decorum est pro patria mori " - Horace
(It is a sweet and proper thing to die for ones country)

"No son-of-a-bitch ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country" - George C Scott as General George S. Patton
Paul McDonnell-Staff
[url:3aoytbu8]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Campaign_history_of_the_Roman_military[/url]

Don't know if it's 100% accurate, but it should be good enough for something for school :wink:
[size=75:18gu2k6n]- Roy Aarts[/size]
I'd hesitate using Wikipedia, unsupported, as a source for any academic work. It's a great place to get a quick lead on a topic, but tends toward sensationalizing topics. However, Wikipedia articles often have links which lead you to reliable, scholarly sources.
"Fugit irreparabile tempus" (Irrecoverable time glides away) Virgil

Ron Andrea