Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ashurah
About seven weeks ago, we, RATs, wished each other a merry Christmas. Today, 9 February, is a (Shi'ite) Muslim holiday, Ashurah. I offer all Muslims over here -I think there are a couple of them- my best wishes.
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website
I must admit that although I know several Muslims, all are Sunni and not Shi'ite Muslims.
So I asked a collegue, and she said Ashura (for Sunni Muslims) was a day when they rembered that the animals on Noah's Ark went hungry. So they make sweet stuff which they sahre with neighbours. Her father's from Turkey.
Of course, for the Shi'ites it's a different matter, a day of martyrdom.
Ashurah for them is the day when Muhammad's grandson Husayn (son of his son-in-law 'Ali) was killed on the battlefield of Kerbala in the moth of Muharram 61 AH (Al Hizjra, approx. 20 October 680 AD).
Read more here. But I'm told it's not a day for 'best wishes'.. :?
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Yep, I was already hesitating about the words "best wishes" but did not find a better expression. On the other hand, I once joined the celebrations in Esfahan ([url:3v6wnc8s]http://www.livius.org/nl/ashura.JPG[/url]) and actually, although Ashura is a festival of mourning, there was a lot of joy.
Jona Lendering
Relevance is the enemy of history
My website