Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
RAT Meetup late April (Buffalo NY area)
Oh, we'll be there a couple weeks, but mostly in the Newark OH area.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
Of course, we'll have several RAT members at Lafe Arkansas for the Fort Lafe 43AD event in March, with a feast, which is usually Roman styled.

However I am always willing to cook up a Plains Amerindian feast for you, and I would be willing to do a SE Amerindian Choctaw/Cherokee pre-European contact dinner/feast for you! :wink:
Caius Fabius Maior
Charles Foxtrot
moderator, Roman Army Talk
link to the rules for posting
[url:2zv11pbx]http://romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=22853[/url]
BTW, What will you be doing in Newark, OH? Many years ago, in the middle 1970's, and I'm dating myself here, I had a job interview in Newark, OH for a small oil prospecting company.
You will be just a little south of Ohio's Amish country. You can step back in time into the "horse and buggy" era and never leave the 21st century.

If we gather in Buffalo, do take up the invitation to see Niagara Falls from the Canadian side. Much more impressive than from the US side.

Marcus Quintius Clavus/Quinton Johansen
Quinton Johansen
Marcus Quintius Clavus, Optio Secundae Pili Prioris Legionis III Cyrenaicae
For all those curious as to why we chose Newark, I can safely say that it's my fault. Jasper's a Dutchie, but I'm a native Newark-ite born and raised. My parents still live there and I like to go see them-- plus we get an almost free vacation! I've been to Niagra falls before, but Jasper hasn't... and it really is spectacular enough that everyone should see it once. Smile
-Christy Beall
It is, btw, pretty likely we'll try to organise this over the weekend to allow as many RAT-ers as possible to join in the fun.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Okiedo. We don't want to do this on the first weekend we're there, since we're arriving Friday night. So for us, the weekend of the 22th or 29th would be fine. Anyone prefer either?
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
April 22nd is the weekend of Marching Through Time at Marietta Mansion in Maryland (enough M's for ya'?), which I'm considering attending, and I suspect others might as well. So my vote is for the 29th.
Dan Diffendale
Ph.D. candidate, University of Michigan
Any suggestions as to where we are going to meetup? Someone know a good/affordable place in the area?
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Saturday April 29 is the best day for me. I will be at Marching Through Time the weekend before. I'll be driving across from Connecticut (New England) so,... It's probably 8 hours or so to Buffalo, unless I come up the night before and stay with someone, say...in Newark, NY?

Marcus Quintius Clavus, Optio, Cohors II, Centuria I, Legio III Cyrenaica
aka: Quinton Johansen
Quinton Johansen
We were in favor of Sat 29th as well. Drive up there the day before, see the sights on the Saturday, RAT-fun later!
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
I ran it past my wife and she shot down the idea. Something about meeting people over the internet and being murdered in our sleep. If we had met you in person already she would have been ok with it. Sorry. Sad
Juan Santell, no Roman name yet. Picking a name is very important and something that should not be done hastily or without much thought.
Quote:Something about meeting people over the internet and being murdered in our sleep.

Confusedhock: Better watch out for the RAT conference then, seeing how all of us are into swords and spears, and such like... :wink:
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Quote:
Quote:Something about meeting people over the internet and being murdered in our sleep.

Confusedhock: Better watch out for the RAT conference then, seeing how all of us are into swords and spears, and such like... :wink:

....dont forget the gladiator movies! Confusedhock:
"...quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."

a.k.a. Paul M.
I think Juan was referring to me and my comment about staying over Friday night in Newark, NY. As it is, I probably will leave in the wee early hours of Saturday morning, because I forgot about the company dinner Friday night, which I cannot miss.
When I lived in Albany, NY, I used to visit friends who lived in Newark, NY (I've gotten around a lot in my life!). They are in the SCA and now I only see them at the Pennsic War in August.
I don't blame your wife. She's got a point.

As far as a place to stay in the Buffalo area over Saturday night?

Marcus Quintius Clavus
Quinton Johansen
Quinton Johansen
Quote:I think Juan was referring to me and my comment about staying over Friday night in Newark, NY. As it is, I probably will leave in the wee early hours of Saturday morning, because I forgot about the company dinner Friday night, which I cannot miss.
When I lived in Albany, NY, I used to visit friends who lived in Newark, NY (I've gotten around a lot in my life!). They are in the SCA and now I only see them at the Pennsic War in August.
I don't blame your wife. She's got a point.

As far as a place to stay in the Buffalo area over Saturday night?

Marcus Quintius Clavus
Quinton Johansen
I bet you're talking about the Ireland-Delfs, they live over on South Main St. They get the local SCA newsletter every month, (I'm a mailman, I know these things! Smile )
Juan Santell, no Roman name yet. Picking a name is very important and something that should not be done hastily or without much thought.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  RAT meetup in Ohio? Praefectusclassis 39 8,175 04-22-2008, 11:24 AM
Last Post: Praefectusclassis
  Latin Meetup richsc 7 1,815 05-10-2004, 07:37 AM
Last Post: Jeroen Pelgrom