Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Epitomator needed!
Quote:1) I assume you are saving the text of those pages (which is easier for transfer into categories on RA.com) or the html files?
2) What we could do with your big problem is the following: once an epitomator has identified a thread as useful for summarizing, I can lock the thread (or give you permission to). You can then make your summary, post it on RA.com and the discussion can then be continued, either in the comments there, or in a new thread that references the summary in the first post. Is that an idea?
1) Html files. that way all I'm doing is taking the page offline with it's original format intact. If the thread is multiple pages each page has 'P2' etc added to the name.
2) I found 8 nuggets in 2 pages. I don't think it's practical to lock them to be honest. As the whole thing progresses it will become more awkward, and spoil the show for everyone. If one gets missed because of a new post initailly it'll crop up later I guess.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
True. Oh well. Hey, the pages on RA.com won't be static, so you can always add to them later :wink:
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
They will be grouped on the info so if something new comes along it should be easy to put it into the "flow" thats why I was saying start in the past and move to the present. Most posting will be done with posts last posted on in 05 not to mention 04, so we shouldnt have a "problem" till we get ALOT done.

Ill take March 2004 to May 2004 in Re-enactment & Reconstruction.
Matt J.
Titus Arabius Matho
Legion XI
How are we cataloging this information? Like gather all the info the write a report on each subject or.......
Matt J.
Titus Arabius Matho
Legion XI
Quote:Like gather all the info the write a report or.......

That's the idea. Although I wouldn't say you'd have to rewrite the whole thing. Just collect, take out double info and edit a little for flow.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Ok, will do, will do.
Matt J.
Titus Arabius Matho
Legion XI
I reckon all the relevant info we're searching for is usually within a single reply, rather than the whole thread, with a couple of exceptions that may range over 2 posts.

I plan on just selecting the relevant text, copying and pasting into the new doc or post, and do the same with the images. Searching through all the threads seems to be the big job.

I don't think we should be doing a whole load of writing (if any at all), just editing the threads for the useful info. As an idea, I also think the title of the edited doc should be the same as the original thread. That way anyone can know where it came from and they can go back and check the entire thread if they wish. Perhaps the original URL pasted into the start to help with that?

Jasper, should these be self-contained and in which format? How can we go about making sure we're all in the same format, which means what's the best process for getting these to RA.com? The sooner we figure this out the better.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Quote:I reckon all the relevant info we're searching for is usually within a single reply, rather than the whole thread, with a couple of exceptions that may range over 2 posts.
Yes, I think so too.
Quote:I don't think we should be doing a whole load of writing (if any at all), just editing the threads for the useful info. As an idea, I also think the title of the edited doc should be the same as the original thread. That way anyone can know where it came from and they can go back and check the entire thread if they wish. Perhaps the original URL pasted into the start to help with that?
Agree on the first bit, but I'd just pick the most descriptive title, rather than the original thread title. Of course it'd be a good idea to end every summary with something like: "Summarized from this thread: http..."
Quote:Jasper, should these be self-contained and in which format? How can we go about making sure we're all in the same format, which means what's the best process for getting these to RA.com? The sooner we figure this out the better.
The system on RA.com will ensure similar layout if that's what you mean. You guys need to sign up at RA.com if you haven't already done so (& I need to reconsider if I really want to keep the two membership bases separated) so I'll be able to give you publishing rights.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
I signed up, but didnt recieve a conf. email?
Matt J.
Titus Arabius Matho
Legion XI
Mail to yahoo from this domain seems to take a while, for some reason. You are registered.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
"Your login has been Blocked. Contact Admin" - RA. com

I dont think it likes me.
Matt J.
Titus Arabius Matho
Legion XI
It likes you once you have confirmed your sign-up. But your email needs to arrive for that first. Got a non-yahoo address?
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
yea, emj1s (AT) hotmail (DOT) com
Matt J.
Titus Arabius Matho
Legion XI
Greetings,
there may be a few useful instructions and layout diagrams on here...check the Segmenta and lamellar.
[url:3s0nztnu]http://www.arador.com/construction/construc.html[/url]
regards
Arthes
Cristina
The Hoplite Association
[url:n2diviuq]http://www.hoplites.org[/url]
The enemy is less likely to get wind of an advance of cavalry, if the orders for march were passed from mouth to mouth rather than announced by voice of herald, or public notice. Xenophon
-
Yea that looks nice. But instead of plain worded links, have a picture of the topic with the words under/above the piccture, and have them both links to a worded tutorial, accompanied by pictures.
Matt J.
Titus Arabius Matho
Legion XI