Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Epitomator needed!
With thousands of threads and tens-of-thousands of posts of varying quality, it can become hard to find the nuggets of gold you need, despite the excellent search-facility of phpbb. That is even more a pity where it concerns reviews of equipment and step-by-step reports of how to make/improve bits and pieces. What we need therefore, is an epitomator, someone who finds and summarizes (i.e. cleverly cuts and pastes) the info from reviews and step-by-step threads and compresses them into a single article for the main site. Any volunteers?
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Webmaster & Editor, Ancient Warfare magazine
I would like to but I just don't have the time... Sad
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
I'm in the same boat Jasper. What about sending an email out to all the members?

Legion: TBD
Thinking 'bout that. Seldom really works.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Oh, go on then (hand raised). Who knows, I might learn something in the process.

Don't expect everything by tomorrow.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Thanks Jim!
If more people volunteer, we could divvy up areas to keep an eye on, so the task would be easier.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
Quote:Thanks Jim!
If more people volunteer, we could divvy up areas to keep an eye on, so the task would be easier.
No probs. I'd recommend divvying it up by date rather than subject, or even by pages of topics which would give a shedload of threads to sift through. It'd be like panning for gold ...
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
I'd be happy to leave that up to the epitomators. And before you ask, you are getting your own oakleaves in another color.
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
I could as well, is there any one topic we need to start on or could we pic one to start with and when were done see whats else needing to be done?
Animals die, friends die, and I shall die, but one thing never dies, and that is the reputation we leave behind after our death.
No man loses Honour who had any in the first place. - Syrus
Octavianvs ( Johnn C. ) MODERATOR ROMAN ARMY TALK
Click for Rule for Posting [url:3135udah]http://romanarmy.com/rat/viewtopic.php?t=4100[/url]
Ill do it, but there would be oher people, right. This sounds like a huge undertaking, and I can work on it scince all else I have to do is work on my kit, and I can't do that at night so I'm open.
Matt J.
Titus Arabius Matho
Legion XI
Excellent gents! Thanks!
Now how to divvy that mass of posts up?
2001-2003, 2004-april 2005, april 2005 - ?
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys
I think that we should do it by date, oldest to newest, because the newest is constantly changing. I don't know, ideas Tarbicus. If we are picking one to start, i'd like to start on kit construction, being im doing that right now and would probably help me alot too.
Matt J.
Titus Arabius Matho
Legion XI
I actually made a bit of a start last night, and you're all correct, it's a big job Confusedhock:

Re-enactment & Reconstruction was the obvious candidate, so I went to page 41, and began to read every topic from the start. Whenever I came across a "how to" or "I tried this..." or "I find this works better..." or "I bought and it was..." I saved the page/pages into my Epitomator folder on my hard drive, copying and pasting the thread's title as the filename. I'm not sure it's the best way to do it, but it seems to work. The thread ID remains in the URL, although "http...." is changed to "D:..." This way, I don't need to be online all the time.

Here's the big problem: The pages are fluid. If a member browses to an early thread and posts a reply, it's now moved to page 1. :roll: The only way to check a thread's date is by Last Post as well. So neither grouping by page number or date can work (correct me if I'm wrong) and guarantee everything's been gathered. The only way I can immediately think of is to lock down the site, which is pointless. What to do?
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
In fact I doubt we'll get round it, so we should just bite the bullet and go for it.

As I got from (December 2003 to February 2004), who wants to do (March 2004 to May 2004), and who wants to do (June 2004 to August 2004)?

I'd say we should isolate the individual threads and save them first, and then do the collating. One step at a time in the process, kind of thing. As the saying goes, "How do you eat a whole elephant? One bite at a time."
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
1) I assume you are saving the text of those pages (which is easier for transfer into categories on RA.com) or the html files?
2) What we could do with your big problem is the following: once an epitomator has identified a thread as useful for summarizing, I can lock the thread (or give you permission to). You can then make your summary, post it on RA.com and the discussion can then be continued, either in the comments there, or in a new thread that references the summary in the first post. Is that an idea?
Greets!

Jasper Oorthuys