Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Valkenburg/Castleford style caliga step by step
Call Maarten Dolmans in Venray. he is my reference since he came up with this pattern, which most of the re enactors in holland wear.

I pesonally have shown the pattern to Carol van Driel Murray, and She told me many years ago she did find this pattern.

and well............. i think you should be happy with all the info on caligae.

the roman army had 120.000 + soldiers, do you really think this pattern is impossible?

then do not make it.

M.VIB.M.

and thanx for all the book titles.
Bushido wa watashi no shuukyou de gozaru.

Katte Kabuto no O wo shimeyo!

H.J.Vrielink.
Quote:Call Maarten Dolmans in Venray.
Quote:I don't know him, I'm afraid - do you have his email address perhaps or could you contact him on my behalf and ask for the reference, please?
(did a quick search and found 3:
M.T.R.M. Dolmans (in Leiden) maarten.dolmans[at]wxs[dot]nl
Maarten Dolmans, Netherlands. artemisia[at]planet[dot]nl
Maarten Dolmans, (in Venlo) mtrmdolmans[at]venlo[dot]nl
none in Venray, though, could it be one of those above?)

Quote:he is my reference since he came up with this pattern, which most of the re enactors in holland wear.

Not only in Holland, at least in Germany as well I think.

Quote:I pesonally have shown the pattern to Carol van Driel Murray, and She told me many years ago she did find this pattern.

Very good, hopefully I'll be able to trace it eventually (with your help perhaps)

Quote:the roman army had 120.000 + soldiers, do you really think this pattern is impossible?

No, never said so. Actually I think there are/were loads more that we don't know about and never will.
My point is that I like to differentiate clearly between what actually existed (because we know about it by finds and such) and what could have been based on deduction and combination of parts and bits, for example. I openly state that to the best of my knowledge when it comes to explaining the reconstructions I do.

Quote:and thanx for all the book titles.

My pleasure.
One more thing - your postings sound kind of angry - if I said something that annoyed you, let me apologize as that was not my intention.
Quote:Martin, you're sure you didn't miss any? :wink:

Should I add that list to the How-To?

In fact I did. There's one or two more I have (and a few I would like to have but could not get my hands at yet), I need to update that list. Let me do that first if you find it worth adding.
Okey dokey
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
Quote:
MARCvSVIBIvSMAvRINvS:3dbcz0k7 Wrote:Call Maarten Dolmans in Venray.
I don't know him, I'm afraid - do you have his email address perhaps or could you contact him on my behalf and ask for the reference, please?
(did a quick search and found 3:
M.T.R.M. Dolmans (in Leiden) maarten.dolmans[at]wxs[dot]nl
Maarten Dolmans, Netherlands. artemisia[at]planet[dot]nl
Maarten Dolmans, (in Venlo) mtrmdolmans[at]venlo[dot]nl
none in Venray, though, could it be one of those above?)

I've sent you a PM.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
THE CAUSE OF WAR MUST BE JUST
(Maurikios-Strategikon, book VIII.2: Maxim 12)
Quote:Call Maarten Dolmans in Venray. he is my reference since he came up with this pattern, which most of the re enactors in holland wear.
I pesonally have shown the pattern to Carol van Driel Murray, and She told me many years ago she did find this pattern.

Maarten works in Venlo.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
Just curious, when was that picture of Carol vd Murray taken? I had heard she was working on a book of shoes to include shoe patterns some years ago, but halted when her husband died. Any idea if she's going to complete it?
Richard Campbell
Legio XX - Alexandria, Virginia
RAT member #6?
Quote:Just curious, when was that picture of Carol vd Murray taken?
Saturday, March 25th, 2006.

Quote: I had heard she was working on a book of shoes to include shoe patterns some years ago, but halted when her husband died. Any idea if she's going to complete it?

It seems she's back in business, but I don't know here exact projects.
Robert Vermaat
FECTIO Late Romans
Hi,

almost overlooked this:

Quote:
a question on the pattern: The pattern from Stepping through Time shows a bit of play about the toes and you have apparently made your caligae much tighter here. I'm thinking that a tighter fit is better. Any reasons for the going looser versus tighter?

No, not really. It probably comes from taking the measures of my foot after I found that the pattern as published would not work for me.
wasnt angry just very very tired, not annoyed at all...

just ended a 7 day shoot for a canadian documentary company.

lot of work...

:lol:

M.VIB.M.

H.J.Vrielink.
MARCvSVIBIvSMAvRINvS
Quote:just ended a 7 day shoot for a canadian documentary company
Which Canadian documentary company were you referring to?

Robert
Rustius Noricus
Rustius Noricus/Robert
Hiiya Robert,

I was PA at the shoot of one of the new Recreating Eden documentary series. They had a shoot about a Dutch gardener/planter.

M.VIB.M.

H.J.Vrielink.
Hi Jim,

here's the updated list for works on roman shoes I studied so far, if you could add that to the Howto, please ....

Busch, Anna Lisa: Die römerzeitlichen Schuh- und Lederfunde der Kastelle Saalburg, Zugmantel and Kleiner Feldberg. Saalburg Jahrbuch 22, 1965.

Cüppers, Heinz. Die Römer an Mosel und Saar. Schuhmacherhandwerk. 201-205

Driel-Murray, C. van: 'Shoes in perspective', in Unz, C. (ed.) 1986: Studien zu den Militärgrenzen Roms III, Stuttgart, 139-45

Driel-Murray, C. van and Gechter, M.: 'Funde aus der Fabrika der legio I Minervia aus Bonner Berg', Rheinische Ausgrabungen 23, 1983, 1-83

Driel-Murray, C. van: Das Ostkastell von Welzheim, Rems-Murr-Kreis. Die römischen Lederfunde. Stuttgart: 1998

Driel-Murray, C. van: Romeinse leervonsten uit Vechten. Westerheem/29. 1980. 349-355.

Driel-Murray, C. van: Dead Men's Shoes. in Schlüter, Wolfgang. Rom, Germanien und die Ausgrabungen von Kalkriese. 1999. 169-191.

Driel-Murray, C. van: Römisches Schuhwerk. in Ludwig Wamser (Hg.). Die Römer zwischen Alpen und Nordmeer. Mainz 2000. 150-154

Driel-Murray, C. van, John Peter Wild et al.: Vindolanda. Research Reports, New Series. Vol. III The Early Wooden Forts. 1993

Driel-Murray, C. van: Footwear in the North-Western Provinces of the Roman Empire. in Goubitz/Van Driel-Murray/Groenman-van Wateringe: Stepping Through Time. Archeological Footwear from Prehistoric Times until 1800, Zwolle 2001.

Driel-Murray, C. van: The Leatherwork from the Fort. in Cool, H.E.M. and Philo, C.: Roman Castleford Excavations 1974-85. Volume I: The Small Finds, Yorkshire Archaeology 4, Wakefield 1998. 285-303

Driel-Murray, C. van und Jan K. Haalebos: Ein römisches Getreideschiff in Woerden (NL). in: Jahrbuch des römisch-germanischen Zentralmuseums Mainz 43/1996. 490-496.

Fremersdorf, Fritz: Ein Fund römischer Ledersachen in Köln. Germania 10/1926. 44-56

Gansser-Burckhardt, A.: Das Leder und seine Verarbeitung im römischen Legionslager Vindonissa, Basel 1942

Göpfrich, Jutta: Römische Lederfunde aus Mainz. Offenbach: 1991

Goette, Hans Rupprecht: Muleus, Embas, Calceus. Ikonographische Studien zu römischem Schuhwerk.Jahrbuch des Deutschen Archäologischen Instituts 103, 401-64

Goldman, Norma: Roman Footwear in Judith Lynn Sebesta, The world of Roman costume. Madison, Wis. 1994. 101-129

Groenman-van Waateringe, W.: Romeins lederwerk uit Valkenburg Z.H., Groningen 1967

Lau, Otto: Schuster und Schusterhandwerk in der griechisch-römischen Literatur und Kunst. Bonn 1967

Miller, Louise, John Schofield and Michael Rhodes: The Roman Quay at St Magnus House, London. Special Paper No. 8 of the London and Middlesex Archaeological Society 1986

Musee du Louvre, Departement des Antiquites Egyptiennes. Catalogue des Chaussures de L'Antiquite Egyptienne. 2000

Robertson, Anne, Margaret Scott and Lawrence Keppie: Bar Hill: A Roman Fort and its Finds. British Archaeological Reports 16, 1975
Added and updated, and thanks.
TARBICvS/Jim Bowers
A A A DESEDO DESEDO!
:?: Where do you get your "flexible steel sewing needles"? I've been searching the web for a source and have not found any. Do they go by another name? Brand?

I'm attempting to make the zig-zag tunnel stitch between the out-sole and the upper as shown in the "Stepping through Time" book. I have curved awls, but I've come to the realization that I do not have suitable needles. I've ordered some curved needles that might do the job.
Titus Licinius Neuraleanus
aka Lee Holeva
Conscribe te militem in legionibus, vide mundum, inveni terras externas, cognosce miros peregrinos, eviscera eos.
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.legiotricesima.org">http://www.legiotricesima.org

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Castleford style boots Martin Moser 1 2,089 07-04-2016, 07:29 PM
Last Post: brennivs - tony drake
  Castleford Caliga Martin Moser 10 3,235 12-18-2014, 12:03 PM
Last Post: Martin Moser
  Help chosing which Caligae Castleford or Mainz Ptn Palmerius2002 6 2,312 07-29-2013, 11:01 AM
Last Post: mcbishop